Source for Detailed Western Hognose Breeding Information? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-28-2010, 05:39 PM   #1
snakechaarmer
Wink Source for Detailed Western Hognose Breeding Information?

Does anyone know of a book, website, magazine article, etc, that outlines in detail the western hognose breeding process, both with brumation or without?

If anyone could post any resource to the above it would be greatly appreciated ^_^

Thank you!

Old 06-21-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
Joemistal
same

i would be interested in a source also. Just starting to research them and finding little so far.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:23 AM   #3
Jon R
I cover breeding in my care sheet. It may not be as detailed as you are looking for, but it works great for me every year.
http://ultimatehognose.com/captivecare.htm

-Jon

Old 06-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
Joemistal
I like your care list. Couple questions. What time of year do you brumate ? Do you stick to spring breeding? And lastly do you try to double clutch if ur females bulk up quick enough after laying?

Old 06-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
Jon R
Thanks!! I'm actually ready to revise the breeding section a bit. Yes, I stick with a typical winter brumation and a spring breeding with all my older animals(Dec 1'st-Feb 15'th.) Young, first year breeder females will go at any time without a brumation period. So, all of my older animals that were brumated usually lay eggs about the same time(April to June) and females that are just getting up to size that weren't brumated the previous winter, will develop egg follicles and ovulate at any time. I have had them go from Jan-Oct. The key here is to palpate them for follicle development and get your males in with them in time, or the ovulation will sneak up on you and they'll give you a nice clutch of slugs.. I have also found that my animals do not go through a typical colubrid shed pattern. I do not get the traditional pre-ovulation shed out of brumation. Typically the first female shed cycles of the year are pre-egg lay sheds, so I now introduce my pairs almost immediately out of brumation and simply use visual clues and palpate the girls to check egg follicle development.

You cant really decide if your females are going to double clutch. It's completely up to them and its very random. I have had females bulk right back up after dropping their first clutch and not give me a double. I've also had females not put much weight on after their first clutch and drop a second for me. On top of that, females that double one year don't always double the next year. Females don't need to be re-introduced to the male for a second clutch either. The majority of my double clutches are from the initial breeding and the females are using retained sperm. Most of the time, my males show zero interest in the female after her first clutch. The best you can do is feed them well and hope for a double. But to answer your question. Yes, they put weight back on just fine after their second clutch.

-Jon

Old 08-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
Kingnoel
Can anyone tell me how many years higs typically stay "breeding age". In other words when does old age typically set in and egg/sperm production cease?

Old 08-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #7
Kingnoel
Sorry "hogs"

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
breeding, brumation methods, hognose