Can you tell if a 3 day old hatchling is a hypo based of nails? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
951adg06
Can you tell if a 3 day old hatchling is a hypo based of nails?

I ask this simple question because I just had hatchlings, some are really light in color like mom who is 100% hypo. I got dad from someone and believed him to be a normal. But the lighter ones nails are clear. I am wondering is it just because the nails are so small.
But the darker dragon with the brown and black to their patterns, I can see the dark shadow in their nails.

I attached pictures of the ones in question and then a group pics so you can see how much dark pigment they lack next to the other dragons. There nails are to small for the camera to pick up on.

I'm thinking maybe there just het and because they are lighter the nails are just lighter also, if that makes any sense

Mom is a red-x citrus hypo.
Dad is what I presumed a normal, but I have no genetics on him

What do you guys think? Any help would be appreciated. I am baffled at this point.
Thank you
Amber
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
951adg06
Best pic of the little nails I could get.
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
mmdragons
All of they're nails from the pictures look super clear! It looks like they are all hypo, several even have that hypo look to them too. They look great!

Old 05-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
951adg06
Thanks Max,
I'm pretty sure they are now, well at least a couple have 20 clear nails, and lack pigment. But even some with the darker orange and brown patterns have clear nails. I thought all hypos were extremely light. But I guess nails don't lie. Haha

Old 05-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #5
mmdragons
Now you have some idea of what dad's genes are! The one you are holding is very nice definetly a hypo and will probably have some nice color after a few sheds. Good luck with all of them! The darker ones will probably be hets the ones that you say have the dark shadow in the nails. if you got all hypos out of two hets those are incredible odds!

Old 05-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
dden
In your original post you say "mom is 100% hypo", but later in the same post you say "mom is a citrus red x hypo...", which would make mom het for hypo. If mom is indeed hypo, then the father would have to be het for hypo in order to produce any hypomelanistic babies (and then you could expect roughly 1/2 of the babies to be hypo). If mom is het for hypo, and dad is het for hypo, then you would expect roughly 1/4 of the babies to be hypomelanistic. I can't tell from the pictures, but at that size, I often use a magnifying glass to view the nails...although you can usually tell from the lack of pigment in the babies. Keep in mind, not all hypomelanistic dragons have perfectly clear nails. Josh & I were just talking about this the other day...some obviously hypomelanistic dragons have lightly-colored nails.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #7
951adg06
Sorry for the confusion,
Moms genetics are Red-X Citrus Hypo. I also have her sister, (hatchmate) who is a Red-X Citrus het hypo (Brown nails, vivid orange color).
I didn't mean mom was a hypo genetic dragon as in Hypo Bearded Dragon. Just saying see has all 20 clear nails, and is a yellow girl with no dark in her anywhere. About 6-8 babies have clear nails. They are also the one's that lack the darker shoulder pads, dark patterns, etc... So I know dad has het hypo gene secretly in him, very nice surprise.

I guess the magnifying glass will do, I know I got one laying around here somewhere.

So these babies would be Red-X Citrus hypo / Red-X het Citrus Hypo. I asked Ed, but now I'm confused again. I don't understand the percentage stuff. Sorry for my ignorance, first time breeder here. At this point I don't know what else dad is. Some babies have green to them. HAHA

Old 05-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
dden
Well, if their nails are clear they are hypomelanistic, but some hypos can have a slight tint to the nails too. It's very tough to see the nails clearly when the dragons are so small, but the magnifying glass will certainly help. My problem is that i need a magnifying glass to find my magnifying glass

Old 05-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
pdragon
Not all hypos(recessive form) have clear nails. I have produced some dark nailed hypo babies, from clear nailed hypo adults. I have also produced very dark hypo(recessive form) dragons with clear nails(attached pics).

btw-those are some nice, healthy looking babies

Josh
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #10
pdragon
This one has all clear nails on its front feet, all dark nails on it's back feet

Josh
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!