Update on Amber - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-20-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
dragongirl6
Update on Amber

So Amber (the 10 month old hatchling sized girl turned blue from calci sand) is having issues. She has obviously needed to shed multiple times and hasn't been able to because of lack of hydration and the fact that the blue stuff seems to have formed a sort of hard outer glue that won't allow the skin to come off. So I spent a few hours with her in the bath having to literally just scrape off her skin. Several layers of skin underneath I found her! She also had a bunch of sores because the outer skin has been digging into her flesh when it grows and cutting off her circulation : (

Does anyone know of anything I could bathe her in to make it feel better or keep it clean? It's going to be a long process to get all the crud off, too. I only got about 3/4 of her tail done before she had had enough and I decided to give her a break.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:26 PM   #2
Beardiepal
Perhaps hydrogen peroxide or betadine but she cannot drink either of them. You are awesome...use a soft toothbrush....of course do not scrub too hard to irritate....I would dilute it 1:3 with the water. Small amount of dilution with water but perhaps this will help with her consuming any of it...I wish Sean would come along...he will be back shortly....I am not sure about this but I do know that H2O2 and betadine have been used with skin issues in the past....Take care Beth

Old 04-21-2008, 05:40 PM   #3
dragongirl6
Thanks Beth! We use betadine all the time for kitties, sores, etc. so I can't believe I didn't think of that. I'll pick some up today and make sure she doesn't drink it.

She also had some bubbles come out of her mouth after gorging herself with water? Is that normal from just drinking a lot at once or could she have a URI? I am trying to get King to the vet right now, maybe I'll schedule both of them...*sigh*

I will get some photos tonight to show you what I mean. It looks so uncomfortable!!

Old 04-21-2008, 06:03 PM   #4
Craigh
Good luck Dragongirl and hope everything works out for Amber with out to much stress

Old 04-21-2008, 06:41 PM   #5
sairhead21
Hey, you have a pm. Good luck with Amber. You're are such a great person for taking all of these poor animals in.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:53 AM   #6
dragongirl6
So here are her photos. I'm confident all her skin will heal nicely, the sores are already totally scabbed over. It just looks so nasty and uncomfortable! I can't believe she had all this crap on her! I'm still trying to get it off. Her tummy and back are not wanting to shed yet, so I will have to wait on those. She seems to be pretty happy though. Eats like a pig! Still need to get another basking light to bring it up from 100 to 110, but other than that she's doing well.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:00 AM   #7
SlytherynHiss Exotics
Oh, That poor baby! I`m glad You have Her now, Best of luck with her.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:21 AM   #8
Beardiepal
She is such a sweet baby. I am glad she is eating so well. If you need anything for her please let us know....Take care Amber and Anna, B

Old 05-09-2008, 09:31 PM   #9
dragongirl6
Thought I'd post a final update before my computer runs out of battery.

Amber had her tail amputated this afternoon and will hopefully be shipped to Michelle sometime in June. Her home sort of fell through when she wanted to "make payments" for a $60 adoption fee after I spent $220 on her surgery and another $100 on her bulbs and cage.

Anyway, let's hope she does well!

Old 05-09-2008, 09:36 PM   #10
Beardiepal
So are you back ???

I am sorry about Amber and her tail amputation. You know you did everything humanly and humanely possible to help this little one. I have missed seeing you around. I hope everything is good with you and yours !!!! Take good care Beth

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!