hardwood stump in cage? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-01-2015, 05:15 PM   #1
Copperhead1121
hardwood stump in cage?

I'm cutting trees down outside and was gonna use a stump for a basking platform. Is this okay. What's the best way to disinfect it and dry it out? Thanks.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:50 PM   #2
E.Shell
I've used quite a few pieces of hardwood and hardwood bark for lizard perches and reptile hides. I've always washed them with a scrub brush in clear water then baked dry in the oven, slowly letting it get up to about 300 and holding it there for 20-30 minutes to kill any hidden pests.

How big is your stump? I've used a screw gun and 2" screws to draw several convoluted limbs together to make stable climbing/basking structure. This may be easier to work with and lighter then a solid chunk of stump.

That said, my personal opinion is that rocks or bricks make best basking structure because they absorb and more evenly radiate the heat from the lamp, wood just gets warm where the light shines on it and stays cool under the animal.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:54 PM   #3
Copperhead1121
It was pretty big. I decided to take it out and go with something more desert themed like rocks and caves. I'll be sure to clean the rocks really good before putting them in there. Thanks for the reply.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!