Open discussion on the new "west" - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:53 AM   #1
Stardust
Open discussion on the new "west"

Please zero profanity.
Here is a place where we can discuss our thoughts/ concerns about the new (not even sure what to call it, so for lack of a better word rules) set in place here at fauna now.

I am not very optimistic about this whole thing as I can see many many flaws in it. As someone who has been trying to write any kind of drama out of my life I do not plan to participate in it, meaning giving out warning points, not that some won't give them to me lol.

I do, however, have faith in quite a few fauna people here that I have gotten to know over the years. Perhaps there are a lot more then I know about and this will not be abused to the extent (with the exception of a few) I am inclined to think it will be. I hope not.

One of the problems that I am worried about is newbies coming to this site. They are not going to want to pay for a newly visited site therefore being more of a sitting duck.

Anyway, I would like to hear other views pertaining to this.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:07 AM   #2
Lucille
There is a very large online community called Craigslist that is a classified system but with online forums as well, that uses a system that actually removes offending posts by popular vote. It you visit the forums it is a real eye opener, they are often explicit and opinionated, and their posts are certainly not decimated by this system. Craigslist estimates that 15% of posts are removed by the community, that means that 85% are deemed fit for publication, and that is the vast majority of posts. Craigslist editors also say that when removed posts are examined, 98% contain rule violations, so there is little frivolous removal.

Humanity has lived by a social compact for millenia (I won't hit you, because I know you can turn around and hit me back) and while of course we all know that people do in fact hit each other, most do not and the social compact is one of the reasons why.

I think there are certain things that many of us, as a community, are against: racist remarks, spam, etc. This system will help get rid of that sort of thing. The grey areas will be more difficult. Perhaps we will all try to say what we want to say more carefully, and if the system encourages that, it is a worthwhile effort.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:36 AM   #3
Stardust
I will keep this discussion here, as what I took from Rich' post he did not want it there. At the WWW2 thread he wanted input on the rules. That is at least what I gathered from his words.

I agree with Cat that the other site is set up differently, although this could go into more that direction.

My take on this, and I could be far off base, is that Rich is relieving himself of the whining and complaining and what all that entails, being pulled in many directions. For that I can not blame him.

I would suggest that people look at their profiles, signatures,comments and take a good look at where they may stand in the community, possibly a good look at one self and the role played here. That would be my unsolicited advice, lol.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:52 AM   #4
Cat_72
I will continue my opinion here.....LOL.

There is a HUGE difference in removing posts, which ends up having no consequence whatsoever to the person who posted it (and they can just go back and repost it....as many times as they wish), and assessing warning points to a user, which can in the end cause THEM to be removed....and cost them REAL money to get back here. And the "offending" posts remain. I really fail to see any real similarities.

While I think Rich's idea is a good one in theory, I think it's going to create a big ol mess. New people aren't going to understand it..heck, there's people who have been on here for a long time now and still don't understand the karma or trader ratings system. And of course, like anything else, there WILL be people that abuse it.....either purposely or out of ignorance at the way it's set up. Some people get mighty pissy just over "karma"....just imagine what they are going to do when they get warning points.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:04 AM   #5
varnyard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
I will continue my opinion here.....LOL.

There is a HUGE difference in removing posts, which ends up having no consequence whatsoever to the person who posted it (and they can just go back and repost it....as many times as they wish), and assessing warning points to a user, which can in the end cause THEM to be removed....and cost them REAL money to get back here. And the "offending" posts remain. I really fail to see any real similarities.

While I think Rich's idea is a good one in theory, I think it's going to create a big ol mess. New people aren't going to understand it..heck, there's people who have been on here for a long time now and still don't understand the karma or trader ratings system. And of course, like anything else, there WILL be people that abuse it.....either purposely or out of ignorance at the way it's set up. Some people get mighty pissy just over "karma"....just imagine what they are going to do when they get warning points.
I can see that happening as well. It looks like things are going to get mighty interesting very soon.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:52 AM   #6
Cat_72
Somehow, I don't think the word "interesting" quite fully describes it....LOL.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:29 AM   #7
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Some people get mighty pissy just over "karma"....just imagine what they are going to do when they get warning points.
Weve seen that TOO many a time!!!

I personally, dont think peoples names should be attached to the Bad Points, or whatever were calling them, Peer points? This only Drives people to target the one person who sent it in the first place. It should be anonymous, this way, noone can be singled out except for the person who actually broke a rule.

I also agree with the limit on how many times you can be punished for breaking one rule.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:35 AM   #8
Cat_72
Ah, but if names aren't attached..that just allows the giver the anonymity to give little "digs" to the other poster just because he doesn't like them..and to do so without fear of repercussion. Names being attached make you think twice, and make sure youreally think the post is worth giving that point to.....

Old 01-15-2007, 11:38 AM   #9
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Ah, but if names aren't attached..that just allows the giver the anonymity to give little "digs" to the other poster just because he doesn't like them..and to do so without fear of repercussion. Names being attached make you think twice, and make sure youreally think the post is worth giving that point to.....

Well its going to happen anyway, and its much worse by attaching a name to it.

Hence why a limit on how many people "punishing" them for one rule would be limited. If they break a rule. they break a rule dosnt matter who gives it.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:40 AM   #10
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
Well its going to happen anyway, and its much worse by attaching a name to it.

Hence why a limit on how many people "punishing" them for one rule would be limited. If they break a rule. they break a rule dosnt matter who gives it.

to add to that, people should not be hesitant to punish a post they see that is wrong, if it is in fact wrong. Why should people be afraid to use the system? then its not working effectively in the end, because its only ammo for more people to throw at one another.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!