--WormMan-- Paypal Account Fraud (Inquiry) - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:14 AM   #11
Dennis Hultman

Old 12-07-2007, 05:32 AM   #12
Cat_72
Well well....this certainly is NOT your average phishing email then is it?

What I'd like to know is how the heck could he add an address to your paypal account without having your password and such?

Is Paypal taking steps to do something to this guy?

Old 12-07-2007, 06:07 AM   #13
Casey Hulse
Quote:
What I'd like to know is how the heck could he add an address to your paypal account without having your password and such?
He/they can't, but they want you to think it has happened so that you will log into your paypal account using the link they sent.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:55 AM   #14
LadyGecko
WOW-this is unbelievable

I know that most people (including myself) have stopped using this company years ago because of their unreliability and inaccessibility but for them to do something like this actually shocks me !!

Sandy

Old 12-07-2007, 09:32 AM   #15
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Hulse
He/they can't, but they want you to think it has happened so that you will log into your paypal account using the link they sent.
Exactly. More than likely this was an HTML email and the link took you somewhere other than https://www.paypal.com/us/links/uni/em= **insert my email address***. Can you post the HTML source for the email?

Old 12-07-2007, 10:54 AM   #16
Keith Northrop
Talking Wow.......Paypal really Sucks....But so does....

the Wormman........It sounds like fraud......But probably from Paypals end........
"Timberline" has served me well for almost 7 years...Fresh bugs or replaced immediately....
Paypal made it a whole 6 months.......HaHa.......My account was charged twice for stuff I never ordered.........This was 02 when they had employees stealing card numbers...........I'll never use them again.......Nor ever Wormman........Someone should buy out his Co. change the name and start
a new show....

Old 12-07-2007, 10:56 AM   #17
DThomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGecko
WOW-this is unbelievable

I know that most people (including myself) have stopped using this company years ago because of their unreliability and inaccessibility but for them to do something like this actually shocks me !!

Sandy
All right, everyone needs to take a step back and calm down for a second. I would be very surprised if wormman had anything to do with this. I'll say right now that they more than likely did not.

Have you all, that are starting to jump on wormman, forgotten that phishers, and others like them FAKE the sent from address? They do not use an email that can be traced back to them.

I receive notices nearly everyday from email servers telling me about some undeliverable email. I get those because some spammer or scammer is using my business email addresses to spoof the return address on the spam emails being sent. If one of you received something like this with one of my business email addresses in it, would you really think it was me trying this?

The OP needs to post the entire header information. This way the IP address the email came from can be seen. That'll show where the emal came from and it most likely won't be from within the US.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:09 AM   #18
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by DThomas
All right, everyone needs to take a step back and calm down for a second. I would be very surprised if wormman had anything to do with this. I'll say right now that they more than likely did not.

Have you all, that are starting to jump on wormman, forgotten that phishers, and others like them FAKE the sent from address? They do not use an email that can be traced back to them.

I receive notices nearly everyday from email servers telling me about some undeliverable email. I get those because some spammer or scammer is using my business email addresses to spoof the return address on the spam emails being sent. If one of you received something like this with one of my business email addresses in it, would you really think it was me trying this?

The OP needs to post the entire header information. This way the IP address the email came from can be seen. That'll show where the emal came from and it most likely won't be from within the US.
Question-
Dennis, I understand you can spoof the email address. I'm curious to know how they might know to spoof the email address of someone you are already waiting payment from?

Old 12-07-2007, 11:26 AM   #19
DThomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman
Question-
Dennis, I understand you can spoof the email address. I'm curious to know how they might know to spoof the email address of someone you are already waiting payment from?
He maybe infected with a trojan that is harvesting email addresses from him. Or, which I think is more likely, they just got luckly and got it to someone that was waiting for a refund. That email wasn't advising her of a refund. That email is the generic, form email that PayPal sends out when ever someone just sends money. Whenever you log into Paypal and click the link "Send Money" and put in an email address to send it to, that is the email that is generated. Anyone can copy and paste that and make a templete out of it to send out millions of bogus emails.

The full headers of the email the OP received will probably show many more email addresses this went to. This is an old and very common scam running around the internet. PayPal's security center has an article on this type of thing.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:40 AM   #20
WebSlave
It is VERY common for hackers to hack into a site and then use the site as a base of operations sending out phishing notices, spam, trojans, and virus programs. I have had security departments contact me via phone because phishing emails were coming from my own servers. Not sure how the hackers got in, but I deleted the crap and tried to plug the holes. What is kind of scary about this is that perhaps they are getting even smarter and directly targeting companies in order to make the phish look legitimate.

I get several PayPal and Ebay phishing emails on a daily basis. If you simply hover the mouse pointer over the link they provide, it will normally show the bogus URL you are being sent to. In any event, if in doubt, simply send the questionable email to spoof@paypal.com and have them check it out.

Personally, I SERIOUSLY doubt that WormMan (Ken) had anything to do with this.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!