hogg island ? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-18-2006, 02:45 AM   #1
richie671
hogg island ?

how much do you think or pay for a hogg island 100% het for albino boa?
just want to know because i traded 2 vision 400 for one (a female).
just wanted to know what everyone thought..

Old 07-18-2006, 03:09 AM   #2
Clay Davenport
Personally I wouldn't take the snake if it was given to me. If I want a hog island, I want a pure hog island, not one crossed with a colombian to be carrying the albino gene. Pure hog islands are a precious commodity at this point and I wouldn't have one when the purity was obviously not there.
Now, that's just my opinion, which is basically irrelevant when it comes to your trade. It all boils down to whether you are happy with the deal and if you feel the snake was worth those two cages. If so, and you're happy with the snake then I suppose you did fine.

Old 07-18-2006, 04:59 AM   #3
hhmoore
Clay, you took the words right out of my mouth (regarding both the mutt hog and the value/worth of the trade)

Old 07-18-2006, 07:48 AM   #4
markface
i'd have to agree with clay and harald . the hog island boa is a beautiful snake in its own right and to scarce to be messing with crossing . just mho . if your happy with the trade though then i guess its all good . even though i dont agree with crossing them i dont think the snakes that are produced from a cross should suffer for something they didnt have a say in and do deserve to be well cared for .

Old 07-18-2006, 02:28 PM   #5
connorrm
I too will have to agree. I have a very nice pair of hogg islands and the only thing I look forward to breeding them to is themselves. I think that is part of the beauty of the island species...the fact that they are unique unto themselves and there isn't all this morph nonsense with them.

Old 07-18-2006, 03:01 PM   #6
OrganicBoas
Jumping on the bandwagon.

- Damian

Old 07-18-2006, 07:47 PM   #7
densnake1
Rich,
I have to agree with the others, if your happy with the snake it was a good trade. Enjoy your snake and if you decide to breed it make sure the babies are sold as what they are- crosses. I have pure hoggs and some crosses, you may end up with some awesome looking snakes. I would be willing to bet some of the people calling your snake a mutt, have had a cross of some sort along the way. Make sure when you do breed her to post some pics of the babies. Good luck
Dennis Cook

Old 07-18-2006, 08:16 PM   #8
jglass38
Ditto what the others said. Keep the Hogs pure!!!

Old 07-18-2006, 08:49 PM   #9
hhmoore
I will admit that I tend toward purism (at least at this point) regarding locality boas. It is also no secret that I have worked with jungle/diamond intergrades for years. I did however take a bit of a shorthand approach in expressing my thoughts earlier...I was in a hurry. Conventional usage of the term hybrid does not apply here, as hogg island boas are currently classified as BCI. Neither does the term intergrade, since there is really no area of range overlap. Many people incorrectly liken crossing different species to crossing different breeds of domestic dogs (incorrect because, regardless of how different they look, they are all still Canis familiaris)...*however, in this case, the comparison works because taxonomically they are the same animal.* That said, just as many enthusiasts are vocal about the idea of mixing breeds...many of us are vocal about mixing localities/races. The difference is we are largely at the mercy of the honesty/integrity of the seller. With the AKC, and other dog registries, comes something of a guarantee that you are getting a pure whatever. (sure, there have been cases of dishonesty).
This is the second poster here in a relatively short period that spoke of this particular mix (abomination?). Albinism, when it occurs naturally, is one thing. If somebody wants to jump through the hoops and shell out the cash for some WC albino hog island boa that is found...MORE POWER TO THEM. But to inject the trait from existing strains of albino BCI, and call them albino hog island boas (or hog island boas, 100% het albino) is just unacceptable...if for no other reason than that it just isn't true.
I won't waste anybody's time by launching into a discussion on the topic of disclosure and misrepresentation...most of you have heard the line before

* edited for clarity

Old 07-18-2006, 11:28 PM   #10
richie671
well i'm sorry if i pissed some people off about just asking a question.
but isn't this what the forum is for?
i didn't cross them my self but i did want her because of how she looked..
and to me NO REPTILE IS JUNK OR NOT WORTH HAVING DUE TO NOT BEING A PURE BREED ITS NOT THE REPTILE'S FAULT.i love all my reptiles
and sorry to everyone i made mad or pissed off i didn't mean to offend you in anyway.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!