Air travel can you taking snake as carry on luggage? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-13-2006, 11:15 AM   #1
Jon Range
Air travel can you taking snake as carry on luggage?

Anyone have experience in taking ball pythons on a plane? I am wondering if this is allowed, or do you have to ship.

Thanks for any input.

Old 10-13-2006, 11:51 AM   #2
Mike Greathouse
Jon,
Post 9/11, you can't even get on a plane with nail clippers. I think the prospect of boarding with a live snake is a foregone conclusion.

You may be able to package and check the animal as cargo. Of course, you will need to pay for that privilege and the rules will be governed by the individual airlines. Chance are, it would be easier and less expensive to simply have the animal shipped.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:40 PM   #3
LadyOhh
I agree with Mike. I highly doubt anyone would be able to pass a snake undetected thru screening...

ESPECIALLY after "Snakes on a Plane"....

Old 10-13-2006, 03:48 PM   #4
Wolfy-hound
Snakes are prohibited on all flights, not as carry-on, not as checked luggage, they may only be SHIPPED. This was in effect before the new rules about nail clippers etc etc. SOME lizards can be checked as pets I believe, and PERHAPS as carry-on pets. Snakes no, big no, heck no, no way no.
That's what I was told from every single airline I called. I actually thought about just tucking one of the baby ball pythons into my bra, but then worried about what if it poked its head out and got spotted? I could be in another city with my flight about to depart, and no way to deal with a snake they won't let on the plane. So I'd say leave them home, or ship them ahead. Most hotels will not accept a pet as a shipped item either.

Old 10-14-2006, 04:41 PM   #5
Mokele
Just as a side-note, based on my experience with reptiles and airlines: Make sure you call whatever information number they give you at least 3 times and speak to 3 different people. When trying to ship a lizard internationally, I got so sick of being told one thing, then told another, that I had to implement this rule. Only once I got the same answer 3 times in a row did I actually accept that they were telling me the current rules, not the memo from 2 years ago or the rules from 5 years ago.

Honestly, if there is an option that involves you not having to sort that sort of stuff out, take it. I'm getting stressed out just remembering it.

Henry

Old 10-17-2006, 07:32 PM   #6
darkbloodwyvern
four words:
SNAKES ON A PLANE

if someone sees your snake and goes nuts (in a bad way) over it, you will be in so much trouble... someone might try and kill it. Shipping is probably cheaper and more safe for the little guys.
Plus you could get sued for exposing people to salmonella or something, children and older people have died from bacterial infections, and even if your snake is clean, it probably won't help....

Old 10-17-2006, 07:48 PM   #7
NathanLedet
I gotta agree with everyone here. I'd just ship it if I were you. Knowing how the uneducated public reacts to the word snake, I would never take the risk. It doesn't matter how much you try to educate the passenger next to you on your baby python, in their eyes, it is poisoness and contains enough venom to kill everyone aboard the flight, and when it gets done devouring everyone it's going to take over the world....

please just ship it.

by the way...i clipped my fingernails the day of flight and unconsiously put fingernail clippers in my pants pocket..i didn't realize i did this till i was going through security. So i wouldn't cause an upset, i took the clippers out and showed them to a security officer and told him i made a mistake and he said "oh you'll probably need those, hang on to them"...so i guess nail clippers are allowed now?

Old 10-17-2006, 07:56 PM   #8
The BoidSmith
Absolutely no snakes allowed. Some airlines will accept them as cargo by they are charging close to $100 and you have to follow the IATA rules as far as the box goes. Personally I think it's ridiculous. Not so long ago I flew internationally (8-h flight) and in the seat in front of me there was a lady with a little puppy in a kennel. The little thing was barking nearly all trip long. Sigh...

Old 10-17-2006, 09:07 PM   #9
Mokele
Quote:
Not so long ago I flew internationally (8-h flight) and in the seat in front of me there was a lady with a little puppy in a kennel. The little thing was barking nearly all trip long. Sigh...
See, I don't get that either, but not because the the irrational reptile phobia or annoyance of a barking dog. What about people with allergies, including those with very severe allergic reactions? Sure, they can move you around the cabin, but you're still stuck in a confined space with lots of allergens because someone didn't want Fluffles to fly in the cargo hold. To me, it just seems inconsiderate of the pet owner.

Henry

Old 10-18-2006, 11:26 AM   #10
tstrenuous10
didnt ANYONE see snakes on a plane? you think they will let you with one on there after that?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!