Very active BP - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-19-2007, 10:54 AM   #1
PythonWallace
Question Very active BP

My 4 month old spider male has been actively cruising his enclosure for the last few weeks. The temps are fine and he's pounding f/t rat pups every 5 days, but I'm concerned. Does anyone else have a snake like that?

Old 01-19-2007, 11:56 AM   #2
SPJ
I have a few that start roaming a day or 2 before feeding time. They get fed on Friday and usually Wednesday or Thursday they start cruising.

If the environment is fine, then they are either looking for food or looking for an escape route.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:10 PM   #3
NorthernRegius.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
If the environment is fine, then they are either looking for food or looking for an escape route.
Seconded, just double check your temps & RH, but sometimes they just get more active. If he's nearing or over 500g he could be effected a bit by the season too...

Old 01-19-2007, 02:17 PM   #4
PythonWallace
He looks like he's looking for an escape route. I thought he might just be hungry, but he only calms down for a day or two after feeding, and he won't take more than 1 rat, so he's not starving. Is it normal for them to cruise like that day and night to try to excape?

Old 01-19-2007, 02:44 PM   #5
hhmoore
depending on what you are considering a rat pup (I automatically think baby rats/pinks), giving him a larger prey item might settle him a bit

Old 01-19-2007, 03:40 PM   #6
PythonWallace
The size between fuzzys and weaned, def. not pinks.

Old 01-20-2007, 09:49 AM   #7
NorthernRegius.com
What's his weight? Does the rat pup leave a lump?

The reason I ask is that I have 0.6 females that are the same age as your snake & same feeding interval. Had to upgrade them to FT weaner rats so it may be time for a feeder size upgrade.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:18 PM   #8
6y0ballpython
My 474g male notoriously by the clock each night around midnight will start to climb the walls of the cage where I have his heat lamp. He's trying to escape or find a way to get in between the screen lid and the foil foam that I have covering it. He likes it up there, but he gets too cold, so I had to duct tape everything up. There is only one vent hole in the screen lid, everything else is covered by foil foam to keep heat and humidity in to a certain extent. It still "breathes" for the cage, but he goes straight for the open screen under the heat lamp. I have the lamp hanging so he won't get burned, but he always goes there because he smells the fresh air, and there are cords taped to the glass to hold the probes for the thermometers and stats for him to hang onto. They are great escape artists, and they will try to get out if they are bored. My male has been fasting since Nov 2. He won't eat a thing because of the season. So I know he's not trying to find food. I try and feed him once a week, and he still refuses, so I know he's just trying to get out. Usually when I see him doing this, I will take him out for 15 mins or so just to give him some fresher air and a bit of a crawl. Snakes need exercise that they cannot get in their cages if you do not have logs or pipes for them to crawl on. They get the urge to move. Especially at lower weights. My 2700g female doesn't move for weeks on end. She's fasting right now too and I haven't seen her move for about 6 days now. I check on her nightly to watch for respirations and I feel her to make sure she's warm, but she' so fat, she just doens't move much. but those little guys just do not like to stay still. Even when you hold them, they will not sit still.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!