More on the Praying Mantis. :( - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 10-08-2006, 10:42 PM   #1
Leighanne
More on the Praying Mantis. :(

One question first. Whats up with the eye color change?? We've seen green, tan, and black eyes. We are guessing that it has to do with Temperature. They change their eyes and its weird. As for the Praying Mantis I got...isn't there a saying that goes "It'll get better then get worse."? Something like that. I didn't quit get a full shot of what happened to her yesterday. Her blood was on the ground and on her wing. She also has two of those blue spots right under her front legs, but was still moving them. She climbed yesterday, she was alive this morning before I went to work, and now after work she's lifeless and looked freakin dead but she's still moving. I'm really freaked out at this point!! Nobody ever answered me but CAN they feel pain?? Do they have those nerve receptors? We tried giving her a live smaller cricket we had last night and she flipped out. Even though Jeff was holding it, it wasn't hopping on her or anything. I think she knew she was hurt and felt vulnerable. I came home and her antenna aren't straight, their curly, shes kinda paler, and she BARLEY moved. I poked at her front legs for like 5 minutes and then she moved them!! She is still barely moving. I can't believe it!! I am freaked out!!

Could she be paralyzed?? Can bugs be paralyzed?? I drizzled water over her boo boo with a cotton ball to try and wash it and then I took a q tip and put some Neosporin on it. She won't move her four back legs at all, just her two front forearms. I would like to squish a cricket down and try and drop feed her, but frankly I know what you guys are thinking already, and what my Fiancee will say when he gets home. Shes dying is what its called right. I feel so bad for the little girl. I wanna freakin kick whoever did it a THOUSAND BILLION, TRILLION times in their abdomen!! Somebody had to of done it because I saw a group of three hoodrats right next to her, and how else could this of happened. I know their stupid enough to just sit on the ground, they even sit on tires, but not usually. I haven't seen any on the ground all summer. I would think somebody stepped on her but then she would have a bigger wound. Maybe it was a bird?? That sounds more possible. I wish I had a camera then maybe you could give me more info. Jeffs gonna say kill her and this might just sound cruel, but I freakin can't!!! I just hope to God she feels no pain.

Old 10-09-2006, 07:10 AM   #2
John Apple
Pain is a hard thing to judge ...but I would say she is in it...pain.
the best way to put her down is in the freezer and this happens naturally to them at this time of year.
Don't worry about the hood rats or about retrobution as most people are igmorant to the fact on what a mantis is and does. They just look at them as a big creepy bug

Old 10-10-2006, 01:22 AM   #3
Leighanne
I have bad news. :(

The poor little girl is dead. She died sometime in the middle of the night. I had been watching her. First, she barely moved at all, then she moved even less, then she twitched before I went to bed and thats when I knew. I wish there could of been more I could of done. The poor girls wound was just worse then I saw at first, and seeing as how I had never even seen an injured Mantis before. We layed her in the bushes outside so she could be put back in "The circle of life" I guess. lol Makes sense to me. This was just really sad. At least we have a beautiful patch of woods and it was a beautiful day. I donno if its better or not she died warm?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!