Python Hybrids - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
Cp3_Pythons
Python Hybrids

I know some are not fond of hybrid's yet some are...

I was wondering if anyone would care to help explain or help me understand the genetics behind them... As for genetics Im speaking on crossing morphs between two species (Ball Python X Burm Python or Ball Python X Retic Python)
I was wondering if there was a way to transfer genes between two diff species. And how one would go or try to go about and be successful in doing so Say I want to take the Woma Gene found in Ball Pythons and try to place the Woma gene on a Burmese Python and the Labby Pattern or even the green pattern on a Ball python Yes I understand that it will be extremely hard to do and a very time consuming project that may or may not be successful.

As always any and all feedback is greatly appreciated

Thank You

Old 02-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
Utta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cp3_Pythons View Post
I know some are not fond of hybrid's yet some are...

I was wondering if anyone would care to help explain or help me understand the genetics behind them... As for genetics Im speaking on crossing morphs between two species (Ball Python X Burm Python or Ball Python X Retic Python)
I was wondering if there was a way to transfer genes between two diff species. And how one would go or try to go about and be successful in doing so Say I want to take the Woma Gene found in Ball Pythons and try to place the Woma gene on a Burmese Python and the Labby Pattern or even the green pattern on a Ball python Yes I understand that it will be extremely hard to do and a very time consuming project that may or may not be successful.

As always any and all feedback is greatly appreciated

Thank You

there are some morph hybrids, like the golden child reticxball that NERD has, or the spider carpall, but as far as i know the only way to tell is to try it. some genes arnt compatible with other species (such as the retic clark albino with a burm albino as they are different types of albino) youd get better results sticking to co-doms/doms as you can visually see if it had an effect on the babies more so then recessives (like green burms)

personally, if you were really set on doing this, im recommending you breed a male pinstripe to a female dwarf burm. its a nice starting point, you dont have to deal with the huge size difference, and itll be rather easy to see if the pinstripe dom gene passed on to babys.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
Cp3_Pythons
Good point Tyler It would be sweet to see a Pinstripe Burm... and thats the morph I would use to cross over or try to anyway...
I think it would be pretty wicked to have a Burm with the pattern of a pinstripe.
So more less with the recessive traits its more of a gamble with slimmer odd's of hitting your mark??

Old 02-28-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
Utta
Quote:
Good point Tyler It would be sweet to see a Pinstripe Burm... and thats the morph I would use to cross over or try to anyway...
I think it would be pretty wicked to have a Burm with the pattern of a pinstripe.
So more less with the recessive traits its more of a gamble with slimmer odd's of hitting your mark??
its not so much of slimmer odds, as having to raise the babies to even see if the recessive gene is compatible. and even then, you're still dealing with het to het breeding so it COULD be compatible, and you just got the shaft and didn't get the green burmxball (just an example) at least with a dom/co-dom you see immediate results.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
Cp3_Pythons
Gotcha I guess thats more reasonable... But I want a Green Ball Python LoL
I guess while working on the co doms and doms that could be a longer time goal...

Second question... two diffrent species means two diffrent breeding needs how could one get around this and be successful in getting them to mate?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:37 PM   #6
Utta
Quote:
Gotcha I guess thats more reasonable... But I want a Green Ball Python LoL
I guess while working on the co doms and doms that could be a longer time goal...

Second question... two diffrent species means two diffrent breeding needs how could one get around this and be successful in getting them to mate?
different doesn't always mean radically different. a male burm will breed just about anything. you might have better luck with a male dwarf burm and a female pinstripe (again, just an example). while i dont have much knowledge on hybrids, only thing i can tell you is try it. some females might be receptive, some might not. its a game of luck (as with any breeding) as far as i can tell.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:44 PM   #7
Cp3_Pythons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utta View Post
different doesn't always mean radically different. a male burm will breed just about anything. you might have better luck with a male dwarf burm and a female pinstripe (again, just an example). while i dont have much knowledge on hybrids, only thing i can tell you is try it. some females might be receptive, some might not. its a game of luck (as with any breeding) as far as i can tell.

I know that on the male burms having two of them now that are in breeding mode and its actually pretty funny to watch them roam around the cage when there in breed mode
Hmmm more choice's.... A pinstripe Burm would be sweet... What do you think??

Old 02-28-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
AK907
A pinstripe burmball would be awesome! I'd love to see that combo! I might try my luck at spider carpalls next season.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #9
boaterr
Sounds pretty juvenile to make a female ball python endure breeding from a male Retic or Burm. If they don't end up killing her she will very likely sustain injuries from no other reason than their sexual organs not being complete compatible.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:38 PM   #10
Utta
Quote:
Originally Posted by boaterr View Post
Sounds pretty juvenile to make a female ball python endure breeding from a male Retic or Burm. If they don't end up killing her she will very likely sustain injuries from no other reason than their sexual organs not being complete compatible.
perhaps you missed the "dwarf" repeated MANY times there Terrance?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!