Incubation times...??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-28-2004, 04:19 PM   #1
lostkauze
Incubation times...???

Hi there. I know theres many sites tha tell you a general time frame of hatchings due to temps. Well, my incubator is steady at 82 (so I've been expecting 60 days.)

I was wondering if incubation time is only affected by temperature. I've got one girl, who for 2 out of 2 clutches, laid eggs which both hatched 15 days before the 60 mark (45 days.). All my other eggs have been pretty consistent on the whole 60-day-theory. Also, one gecko per clutch has been an abberant (broken back band or circle back), but both parents are normal tangs--possibly due to short incubation time???

Any input here, I'm drawing a blank. --Maybe its just fluke and my mind is going nuts...?

Thanks all
Michael

*These are the hatchlings from today. The weird one still has her ambilical (sp) chord on her.
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2004, 06:28 PM   #2
robin d.
i dunno really, last year i put the dates on my eggs but this year i dont... i just stick them in the incubator with what the parents were.. last year i found myself contsantly watching the incubator come "time" so i figured to help cease all the stress i would avoid dates

Old 06-28-2004, 06:55 PM   #3
diablohogs
yeah ive started paying less attention to estimated hatch dates if nothing else to preserve my hairline and sanity.

"did they hatch yet, did they hatch yet?!?"

Old 06-29-2004, 04:50 PM   #4
lostkauze
Hi. Its not like I'm paranoid about hatch dates, but this girl's eggs always hatched 15 days earlier then all the others. So i was thinking maybe temps werent the only factor in incubation.

Ya, for my first few clutches I definately was in the whole gotta time it, then I missed the first 3... come to think of it, i've never seen a hatching, and the first 2 clutches were surprises.

Ah well, there'll be more in the future.

Michael

Old 06-30-2004, 12:23 PM   #5
diablohogs
45 days is awfully close to the 40 days it takes to incubate at 88-90 degrees. you might want to double check your temps.

Old 06-30-2004, 02:29 PM   #6
lostkauze
Ya, I checked my temps after soon realizing that it was close to the male range. Then I got a bit scared and checked the other clutch that hatched 15 days early 2 months ago and one is definately a girl... the other I'm not 100% on, and will check later today with better light... I could use another male...

Michael

Old 06-30-2004, 04:46 PM   #7
diablohogs
ive got male shtct, shct and hcts coming out of my ears.

unfortunately it will be a month or two before i know what to price them at... with the exception of one or two.

Old 06-30-2004, 05:43 PM   #8
lostkauze
Ok just triple checked and everyone is a girl. Temps stable at 82*.

i'm quite sad though now. The babies that hatched most recently (on tuesday), i thought were a bit weird, they didnt scream or hiss or bite me. I gave em another day in the incubator because they still had their ambilicals,and put them in their new home yesterday afternoon. Thinking the lack of defense was weird, I checked em again today, and unfortunately they dont have eyes. I've been down this road before, and I'm 100% positive. Its quite a shame, I really liked the one with the broken neck band. I'll try hand feeding or whatever, but I just dont think their quality of life will be that great.

I'll let you guys know how it all works out.

Michael

Old 06-30-2004, 05:59 PM   #9
diablohogs
i see eyes in the picture. or at least eye bumps. maybe theyre just not ready to open them yet?

Old 06-30-2004, 07:03 PM   #10
lostkauze
Eye bumps yes, but there's like skin over the eyes. I almost like flick them to get a reaction, but nothing, they dont roam around their cage or anything. Its like a thin black covering. They are alert, and do nip and bite me when I hold em too long or move em in a weird position. But i'm not throwing in the towel yet. Tomorrow i'll give em some mealies... maybe even crickets because of more movement. I hope for the best, but I havent given up yet.

Michael

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!