Nile monitor problem - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-09-2016, 10:21 PM   #1
Micki01
Nile monitor problem

A friend of ours purchased two Nile monitors at a reptile expo about 6 months ago. The one has grown HUGE while the other is essentially the same size it was when he brought them home. It is so tiny. Like hatchling size. Just wanted to know if anyone had a suggestion as to why this would happen or tips to help with growth.

Sent from my C6743 using Tapatalk

Old 10-09-2016, 10:33 PM   #2
JButera
Stupid question but are they housed together?

Old 10-09-2016, 10:41 PM   #3
Micki01
They were and he separated them a few months. Neither were growing much before he bought a full spectrum bulb.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:54 PM   #4
JButera
Are the two separate enclosures identical?

Old 10-09-2016, 10:58 PM   #5
Micki01
They were similar , now the one needed a larger enclosure. I'm not sure on the temps but they both have a large water bowl to swim, a hide, and random things to climb on. The small one is in a reptile room with uth and a UV bulb. The normal guy is in a custom built( I'd guess 5x4x2) cage. It is out in the living room.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:29 PM   #6
JButera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micki01 View Post
They were similar , now the one needed a larger enclosure. I'm not sure on the temps but they both have a large water bowl to swim, a hide, and random things to climb on. The small one is in a reptile room with uth and a UV bulb. The normal guy is in a custom built( I'd guess 5x4x2) cage. It is out in the living room.

I'm assuming the smaller one's in an enclosure that's located inside a reptile room and the UV bulb is for UVB only and gives off little to no usable heat. I'd suggest a hot spot of 130 - 140° *surface temp* and plexiglass, or whatever over the top screen if applicable. It seems uth's and monitors don't mix.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:33 AM   #7
Micki01
Quote:
Originally Posted by JButera View Post
I'm assuming the smaller one's in an enclosure that's located inside a reptile room and the UV bulb is for UVB only and gives off little to no usable heat. I'd suggest a hot spot of 130 - 140° *surface temp* and plexiglass, or whatever over the top screen if applicable. It seems uth's and monitors don't mix.
I doubt he is hitting those temps. I'd guess 95 for a hot side because the room stays 80. That's good advice. I'll pass it on. Hopefully he figures it out, its kinda sad.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:27 PM   #8
Micki01
Do monitors get intestinal parasites like snakes? He says he is feeding it well although I'm not 100% sure what that means.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!