Beware of John & Debbie Smith in PA-Questionable ethics - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:08 PM   #1
CheriS
Beware of John & Debbie Smith in PA-Questionable ethics

I am the Coordinator of the Bearded Dragon Breeders & Suppliers Network, that was started several years ago by Bill Mears and has 120 members. This is a group of bearded dragon breeders that commit to only selling young dragons over a certain size and age. Any experience breeder of them knows that under that age, even with going to knowledgeable buyers, they often can not survive due to stress with change of environments. Unlike snakes, which are usually good to go to new home once they are established eating, the majority of bearded dragons sold under the age of 6 weeks or 6 inches do not live to see their 4th month of life. Bearded dragons are big consumer of insect food as babies. They often eat 30-70 crickets a day when young, so you can see with this expense for a 24+ clutch, these breeders that join the network commit to incur those costs. to give a young dragon the best possible start in life. The impact of 30,000 crickets a month for one clutch is a lot.

On September 11, 2006 we received a complaint signed by a "Nancy" that a Sara Gatto dba Mezclado Reptilia, a new member on the Network was selling undersized/underage dragons at the Pittsburgh Reptile Show in Harmar , PA. When someone applies, they are checked out, their websites completely read, other breeders that are members of the Network and might know them in the same area or have sold them stock are consulted, show promoter that they attend as vendors as emailed or called , BBB , BOI and even some other avenues that are not public to verify that they have a good reputation and business history. Sara Gatto dba Mezclado Reptilia has also been issued a Fauna Classifieds Good Guy Certification #0163. http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=83870 She is also a member on this stie and has been for over a year, with over 400 post, most of those helping others on the forums here. So you can see, we do not casually just add anyone applying.

Some of the information that was coming back from inquires regarding the complaint, was mading me feel disturbed that this might be a false/malicious complaint to purposely try and harm someone's business and have them removed from the network. NO information came back confirming their complaint and additional check including the hatch dates of her dragons and the show date, indicate it would not be possible for the complaint to be true. Network members get free advertising on some reptile site and list, listed with contact info on the Breeders Network site that has thousand of hits a day and in promo information at some reptile shows. What was troubling was that the name of the Complainant was not disclosed in inquires, but the 2 breeders we contacted that attend that show and another one in PA with Ms Gatto and the contact for the show promoter all came back discussing the name of the people that they assumed for some reason were the complainant. That was a red flag, along with some other info of ongoing problems with this other couple they mentioned.

At that point we ran a trace route on email of the Complainant and another on the route of the known email of this couple John & Debbie Smith who sells bearded dragons and rodents. They match as the same ISP and going to the same address. We are still checking to confirm the business name and will post that once it is confirmed. When this info was relayed to Ms Gatto, she provided me with a copy of an email with header which also match and was the same address, this was allegedly sent by Mr. John Smith a few weeks ago and threatened her with a comment of there being many ways to make her web site, her business and her life in general much more difficult.

Granted, this Nancy who signed the complaint from their address could be a child in their home that got access to thier email and sent this complaint and the threatening letter a few weeks ago to her.....and is playing games. I am emailing the Smiths a link to this URL so they can be made aware this exist and encourage someone independently to do so also. I would like to hear their side of this publicly. I want to be absolutely fair, and they may come back and say Nancy is a daughter or relative in the home, that they are mature and responsible enough individual they would never do anything like this and they will take action against her for doing something so foolish..... and something that is illegal, its called liable and they can be sued for it.

Additional note of checking on this complaint, these are the comments that came back from the breeders at the same show and the contact for the promoter regrarding Sara Gatto about her dragons 1)healthy and of good quality, 2)wonderful dragons & we refered people to her - 3)can not imagine that someone complained about them, they were some of the best in the show.

I felt the community deserves to know when there are some very questionable ethics being used by someone in this industry that sell publicly at shows and seem to have the intent to harm another as all the evidence does show at this point. I think we all have seen this too many times and especially on some of the Tampa threads in the past. If someone is playing games and purposely trying to get another banned off a site that promotes their business and sales, they can do it to anyone, including you. They need to be exposed for what they are and outed in this industry, so others can decide if they really want to do business with someone like this.

Heads up, some people need to learn not to assume others are so stupid and are going to just take their word, they can end up being the one losing their reputation

Old 09-13-2006, 09:24 PM   #2
clarinet45
I'm very thankful that this has been exposed and that Cheri brought this to my attention. I'm VERY grateful this did not cost me access to the network. I have had other problems with them as my breeding and selling procedure are very different from theirs. Some background information: I have sold out of all but one baby that I produced this year. I had raised a 20 lot from Bree [bobsdragons.com] and only had them up for sale when they were big enough. The first 10 at the August 20th show and these last 10 at the Sept 10th show. All of which I hold to my 30 day health guarantee although I did not hatch them.

Old 09-13-2006, 10:03 PM   #3
CheriS
If someone else wants to email them to be sure they are aware of this thread, the email address they used is John & Debbie Smith email

I did respond to them on September 11, 2005 asking for colleratal verification or photos or any contact that could verify what they had claimed and they never responded back to me

Old 09-13-2006, 10:31 PM   #4
blackbeard
i dont have too much to add to this thread but i do attend the cheswick show at the harmer house in pitts when i can and its unfortunate that someone has to go through this because the childish actions of others. it would be nice to ban these people from doing buisness but as we all know that its REALLY difficult tom do so just look at some other people who have threads about them on this site. EVEN people who have around 1000 threads on their negative buissness and moral practices are STILL getting buissness from somewhere .anyways `sorry to hear about what u went through sara

Old 09-14-2006, 12:17 AM   #5
Mooing Tricycle
i will always back sara up 100% its a terrible thing that somone could try and do this to her for no true reason at all.

someone needs to get a life. and quick. They say they can make life hard for her? well hows life when youre found out to be the one to blame for such a childish move? cant be fun thats for sure!

If somone hasnt already, they should link this thread to saras good guy/bad guy post on the BOI, just to make others aware of what went down, and what we know.

Old 09-14-2006, 01:13 AM   #6
Rainbowboaman
here is Profile & Homepage on AOL for that email address
Name DeeDee
Location somewhere in pa
Gender Female
Marital Status married
Hobbies & Interests D.J. ing & of course having alot of fun
Occupation own business
Personal Quote married & lovin every minute of it!
Links http://hometown.aol.com/jazzinme15/

Main >> Business Park >> Other Home-Based Businesses

Notify AOL | Search | Help

A MOTHERS TOUCH

A little info. about our business
A MOTHERS TOUCH CLEANING SERVICE
Debbie & Laura We are a Mother & Daughter Team.
We offer free estimates & have very reasonable rates
We are insured
We will consider any special needs
Any time frame accepted-weekly, bi-weekly, or once a month to meet your needs

Services we offer
INDIVIDUAL ROOMS OR WHOLE HOUSES
SPRING CLEANING
MOVE IN / MOVE OUT
No job considered too small.We do outside work also...weather permitting.
We have all the supplies needed
Take a break & let us do the work for you.

We take great pride in our work
We have references available
We are currently taking new clients in Wexford, Cranberry, Mars, Valencia, Evans City, Gibsonia, & North Park area.
Call us at: (724)586-6890

E-MAIL US AT JAZZINME15 @AOL.COM

My Favorite Business Links
See other business pages

Download AOL Instant Messenger

page created with 1-2-3 Publish

Old 09-14-2006, 09:42 AM   #7
CheriS
Thanks for the information Chris. I think they tried to clean one to many places

I also do not think we will see them responding on this thread or admitting what they did. After 3 days, from the time of their initial complaint and me responding to their address 4 times over that time, I received this email back today...... this is in response to me telling them of this thread. The other emails to them was requesting more information and informing them of the unfounded status of thier complaint which received no response

Quote:
----- Original Message -----
To: cheri@reptilerooms.com
Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2006 7:43 AM
Subject: Breeders Network Submission

Hi my name is Debbie Smith. I just got an e-mail from you concerning a complaint. We have had a virus on our pc lately & its been doing all kinds of crazy things. I wasn't even aware of your website. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Thanks, Debbie
Take that for whatever you want, I for one do not believe a thing these people have to say. Can you imagine, how strange is that.... they allege a virus (that seems to be harassing Ms Gatto for over 3 weeks now as that is how long between threating emails to hre and the complaint to our network). Very selective virus

Old 09-14-2006, 09:46 AM   #8
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheriS
Thanks for the information Chris. I think they tried to clean one to many places

I also do not think we will see them responding on this thread or admitting what they did. After 3 days, from the time of their initial complaint and me responding to their address 4 times over that time, I received this email back today...... this is in response to me telling them of this thread. The other emails to them was requesting more information and informing them of the unfounded status of thier complaint which received no response

Take that for whatever you want, I for one do not believe a thing these people have to say. Can you imagine, how strange is that.... they allege a virus (that seems to be harassing Ms Gatto for over 3 weeks now as that is how long between threating emails to hre and the complaint to our network). Very selective virus
Its not a virus in their computers thats causing those emails......

Old 10-10-2006, 08:01 PM   #9
clarinet45
I made a comment to Mr. Smith at the show this past Sunday. I kindly asked if he had fixed that computer virus yet! He said he has no idea what I'm talking about and went on a tirade. The gist of it was "I don't know what your talking about, but I'm going to incriminate myself and comment on what 'Nancy' complained about anyway and remind you how much I can ruin you" Also a few choice comments he had that would get me warning points if I repeated them. As well as unethical seller and insecure about competition, he's a sexist. Let's leave it at that.
The last four babies I had from the last show came with me with this time too, but are closer to 8-9" now. They still refused to admit that these were over 6"! Ridiculous how people can be when they are blinded by hypocritical hate. I kind of pity them. And the 13, 3" beardies they dumped at the end of the show.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:18 PM   #10
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
i will always back sara up 100% its a terrible thing that somone could try and do this to her for no true reason at all.

someone needs to get a life. and quick. They say they can make life hard for her? well hows life when youre found out to be the one to blame for such a childish move? cant be fun thats for sure!

If somone hasnt already, they should link this thread to saras good guy/bad guy post on the BOI, just to make others aware of what went down, and what we know.

Let me say that this is definitely no longer the case.... I wonder now, if the person who sent those emails was actually telling the truth, and we were none the wiser?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!