Raccoons - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:09 PM   #1
Dennis Hultman
Raccoons

I spent days planning and putting new sod in my yard. I woke up about three this morning to find raccoons in the yard. They had rolled half of it up. So frustrating. All the hard work I did myself instead of paying someone else to do. I was proud of how it turned out. What a mess they made. My wife is going to pickup some live traps today but I have to admit my thoughts reflected back on the armadillo lamp picture I posted for Laura sometime back.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:59 AM   #2
Dennis Hultman
Well, four down many more to go.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:18 PM   #3
BryonsBoas
I remember in basic we were told by the Drills that blood made the grass grow green. Don't see any reason why racoon blood wouldn't work.

I have the problem of armidillos here . They tear up everything. I've been promising Laura an armidillo with a small hole for a lamp but usually by the time I'm grabbing a gun its " big boom boom " time.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:47 PM   #4
Ed Clark
Thumbs up

Dennis, raccoons are very delicious when prepared properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman
I spent days planning and putting new sod in my yard. I woke up about three this morning to find raccoons in the yard. They had rolled half of it up. So frustrating. All the hard work I did myself instead of paying someone else to do. I was proud of how it turned out. What a mess they made. My wife is going to pickup some live traps today but I have to admit my thoughts reflected back on the armadillo lamp picture I posted for Laura sometime back.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:53 AM   #5
Dennis Hultman
LOL
My schedule is all screwed up now. Just waking up for coon patrol.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:10 AM   #6
Cat_72
We've had more trouble this year with raccoons than we've ever had, the "yard dog" normally keeps them well under control, but she just can't keep up this year. My son has caught several in the live trap, but I think they have gotten wise to it now, and are sitting out in the grove giggling and pointing at me.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:25 AM   #7
ladyserpent7
isnt there any other way....is there a raccoon repellent out there somewhere?

Old 08-26-2007, 06:31 PM   #8
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyserpent7
isnt there any other way....is there a raccoon repellent out there somewhere?
It's called a shotgun. Nothing repels raccoons all that well. They are aggressive and pretty much fearless.

The only good thing about the rabies epizootic in the northeast in the 1990's when I lived up there was the near eradication of local raccoons. The bad part was that skunks filled their niche to a large extent.

Sorry to hear about your troubles Dennis.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:47 PM   #9
jsrocket
Jim O, laughing my you know what off. Yes, Virginia, there is an effective way to discourage raccoons.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:38 PM   #10
Laura Fopiano
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman
Wow Dennis, I'm so sorry to hear of your "coon" trouble. Since my move here, I have only seen one, and it was road kill.

I have seen the damage that armadillo's cause, it's really nasty! They can dig up and destroy months of hard work and planting over night.

And yes! A coon lamp would be just lovely! Just thing how nice it could look.as a lamp with a piece of sod in it's grubby little mitts.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!