Bad Guy Al Brown-Browns Boas-Nightmare Transaction - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:56 AM   #41
crotalusadamanteus
I've been zapped buy 120v many times and I'm here to tell you that its more startling then actually harmful.

But hey, go for the law suit...everyone else does.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:52 AM   #42
moyers monsters
You guys are all wrapped up with the law suit aspect. Pat just wanted you all to see what kind of business man Mr brown is. And hopes that after brown sees this that he may rectify what Brussels done

Old 12-14-2010, 08:54 AM   #43
moyers monsters
hhey my rectify what he** has done.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:03 AM   #44
hhmoore
To the people that have commented on the use of "old" heat tape - what is the shelf life of that product? The original comment stated that the tape was several years old, sitting in a roll in his house...no implication of previous use (IMO, meaning it is for all practical purposes - new).

Old 12-14-2010, 09:25 AM   #45
Drew Zaun
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
To the people that have commented on the use of "old" heat tape - what is the shelf life of that product? The original comment stated that the tape was several years old, sitting in a roll in his house...no implication of previous use (IMO, meaning it is for all practical purposes - new).
I am not sure there is going to be a definitive answer to this question, to be honest. When my brother was plumbing he advised clients to replace their tape every 10 years. Keep in mind this is tape used as designed, only turning on for short periods of time to keep pipes from freezing. Used more or less constantly the life span may be less, or it may be longer. I have had one cage I made back in '96 that has the original tape, still works. I wonder if the on/off hot/cold cycle fatigues the materials faster than steady load does?

In my experience when tape fails it just stops working, it doesn't pose a hazard, others may have a different experience.

In my opinion the amount of time tape sits on a shelf does not affect its shelf life, there is no degrading of materials unless the product was exposed to conditions that could degrade it, chemicals, extreme temperature fluctuations, etc.

In this case, going by the descriptions, it sounds like the tape was simply not installed properly, and if it shorts out or breaks I would look to that cause rather than how old it is.

Personally I started to move away from heat tape some time ago, I just don't like it as much as I do other materials.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #46
hhmoore
That was basically my point - a roll of heat tape doesn't "go bad" sitting on a shelf for a few years (in normal situations).

Old 12-14-2010, 09:55 AM   #47
moyers monsters
I have been in the pet trade literally my entire life. I have seen heat tapefail and melt breeding racks and start fires.

And yes sitting on a self rolled up can effect the life of the tape. Some retailers will throw tape away if it is not sold by a certain point.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:01 AM   #48
hhmoore
Well, then, what IS the shelf life of a roll of heat tape? (not the functional life - we're talking about unused heat tape) At what point is it no good?
Who are some of these retailers that throw away unsold heat tape, I'd like to contact them for information on this?

Old 12-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #49
moyers monsters
I just got off the phone with someone who sells hundreds off feet a yr and yes. It doesn't normally go bad but it can and its not unheard of.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:08 AM   #50
moyers monsters
ggo to any expo and talk to some ppl that sell large amounts.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!