Brumation? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-23-2004, 12:29 AM   #1
Serpwidgets
Brumation?

Hi. I'm familiar with breeding cornsnakes, and how they can go with or without brumation. I have a 9 year old female Cal King I'd like to breed for the first time this coming spring, and wanted to find out if it's useful or necessary to brumate. I've read the section in "Kingsnakes and milksnakes" but I've also heard brumation being mentioned for corns as if it's necessary.

BTW, Here's a pic of Spot. She's an absolute sweetheart, nicer than many of my corns.

TIA

Old 12-23-2004, 02:52 AM   #2
reptilebreeder
I think one reason that some Corns are able to regularly produce, even without brumation is that they have a natural range in areas like Florida, where it doesn't get cold enough to do a full brumation. I would definitely brumate your King, even if there is a chance that she would produce without it, it's probably good to get her down for a while, so it will prepare her body to get ready this spring.

Old 12-23-2004, 08:41 PM   #3
Sasheena
I've actually been wondering this myself, as I've had some of my kings down for a while, whilst others haven't been brumated thus far. I did finally get them all into the garage (took a garage sale to get the necessary room) but they will have a short brumation compared to my normal brumation period. I think the idea that they are from Florida has some weight, though I'm sure it does get cool there too, doesn't it? I'm in another of the "sunny states" and it's been below freezing lately at least during the night. (here in AZ)

btw, Spot is quite lovely!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!