atrox rescue... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-16-2006, 11:56 AM   #1
Tim Cole
atrox rescue...

Yesterday I received a call from a person that claimed to have a Rattlesnake tangled in deer netting next to his house. I get quite a few callls about snakes tangled and caught in this stuff. Usually it is a Texas Rat Snake. I was pleasantly surprised when I got there to find a 3ft atrox in the netting! Even though it had limited movement, my girlfreind restrained it with a pair of tongs while I cut out the section of netting it was in. I placed it in a bucket and brought it home to be tubed and cut out. Here are some pics.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2006, 12:53 PM   #2
markface
poor critter . i hope its going to be ok . its good to know there are people out there that really care about reptiles weather venimous or not . thanks for being there for it . :scatter:

Old 04-17-2006, 09:30 AM   #3
BWSmith
Glad to see that there was no damage to the animal. That stuff can cut deep.

So which one is the "Girlfriend" in that photo?

Old 04-19-2006, 12:00 AM   #4
Tim Cole
She did

her part before the snake was brought home! The person holding the tubed snake was my friend David Buchanan. I was the one operating the scissors!

Old 04-19-2006, 12:17 AM   #5
norsmis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWSmith
Glad to see that there was no damage to the animal. That stuff can cut deep.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...id=31132&stc=1
So which one is the "Girlfriend" in that photo?
Sorry Tim but I was going to ask the same question......
Great job on the rescue!

Old 04-19-2006, 11:46 AM   #6
RangerGrrl
Oh, that poor thing! I've never seen deer netting before; does that junk really work against deer or do THEY get tangled in it too? Glad you were able to fix him up!

Old 04-19-2006, 11:55 AM   #7
Tim Cole
Deer netting...

It is effective for keeping the deer away from the plants. But as you can see, snakes get caught in it very easily. An easy solution is to raise the bottom of the netting 6" above the ground. This allows clearence for a crawling snake. Not always effective for a climbing Rat Snake though.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!