Apparantly im good at keeping crayfish.... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Fish and Aquatics > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Fish and Aquatics.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
Mooing Tricycle
Apparantly im good at keeping crayfish....

Well im not sure if i ever posted about this girl or not. Shes a wild caught, what i believe to be Procambarus Ortmannicus acutus.... though, im honestly NOT sure.

But, today i look in the tank, and notice shes out and about instead of hiding in her cave, like she has done for a good solid week now.... and notice she either.. is in berry, or was, and was losing the eggs off her tail.

I think she is IN berry though because from when i looked at her, then went to posting on Bluecrayfish.com ( forum is actually a really cool place!) and then checking on her again... it looked as if there were MORE eggs!

Pretty cool! Ill find out later after work if she is actually going into berry, and if maybe ill have some more baby crays.

If anyone wants any, when/if they hatch, let me know!

Oh yeah, and sorry for the Cell phone photos, the camera is in the car and i just dont feel like getting it!

Old 09-24-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
TheFragginDragon
Berry cool Alicia!

you had to see that coming.....

Old 09-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #3
shrap
Mmmm, some garlic, butter, lemon.... errrrr, I mean that is really cool Alicia. I hope you get LOTS of butter, errr babies.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFragginDragon View Post
Berry cool Alicia!

you had to see that coming.....
LMAO ya got me, ya got me!

Thanks!

Old 09-24-2008, 01:41 PM   #5
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap View Post
Mmmm, some garlic, butter, lemon.... errrrr, I mean that is really cool Alicia. I hope you get LOTS of butter, errr babies.
LMAO mmmmmmm

Hey now... crawfish boils are good! but they DO make pretty "entertaining" aquatic pets.

Im greeted almost daily, with claws raised... you know, like in finding nemo and the crabs on the pipeline? LOL

Heeey heeeey heeey!

Old 09-24-2008, 06:48 PM   #6
techgirl
I would love some baby craws!! Mind you though, they would be turtle food. He loves them.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:24 AM   #7
Mooing Tricycle

Still hangin in there, so im thinking maybe the berry is good.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:26 AM   #8
TheFragginDragon
Very cool Alicia....what's their lifespan?

Old 10-01-2008, 10:36 AM   #9
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFragginDragon View Post
Very cool Alicia....what's their lifespan?
I think two to four years for most, though i really think it depends on the species, and when you catch it. As a baby, it might live longer ( lots of things can still go wrong though lol get a cycled tank set up first) and adults, depending, may not live past a few months. I dont know the age on this female, or if she is full grown. Im PRETTY sure, but not 100%.

I really, honestly, dont have much of a clue, especially for these guys as there really isnt much documentation on them, and since shes an adult. Im thinking ill have her until next summer if im lucky?

Old 10-01-2008, 12:30 PM   #10
Clay Davenport
I had a lot of fun keeping crayfish, although I wasn't really successful doing it long term.
I started with one I had ordered off ebay. The photo was of one of the large blue ones. I'm not sure if I didn't pay attention or it wasn't mentioned in the ad, but when it arrived, it was about 1/4" long, just a baby.
I thought, well maybe it will be able to hide under something in the tank and escape being eaten. It lasted about 12 seconds. Didn't even make it to cover before it was eaten.

Next I ordered two red ones, making sure they were adults. They did great for several months until they molted. Before their shell hardened they were killed and eaten. I decided not to try any more until I had a more suitable tank where predation wouldn't be a concern. They were great fun while I had them though.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!