Strange Spider behavior - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-04-2008, 09:43 PM   #1
hartge330ci
Strange Spider behavior

Hi all,
I have a question on my spider. I just noticed this. He is 149 grams and growing strong. Eats healthy. But what he keeps doing is sticking his head in the air and then rolling over backwards ending up on his back rolled over his body. He also eats upside down... Lastly I noticed his body/skin seems much softer and thinner than my other balls... any ideas?

Old 11-04-2008, 09:47 PM   #2
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartge330ci View Post
Hi all,
I have a question on my spider. I just noticed this. He is 149 grams and growing strong. Eats healthy. But what he keeps doing is sticking his head in the air and then rolling over backwards ending up on his back rolled over his body. He also eats upside down... Lastly I noticed his body/skin seems much softer and thinner than my other balls... any ideas?
spiders have issues with wobbling, some cases are severe, while others dont exhibit the problem at all.

As of right now, consensus says that all spiders have it, but there are some of us that believe that with careful breeding, maybe none will exhibit the trait. It hasnt been proven either way, really though.

I should add on to this...

Has your spider exhibited these traits before?
How long have you had him?

What are your housing conditions like? Heat, Hot and cold side temps, what substrate do you use?

Old 11-04-2008, 10:15 PM   #3
hartge330ci
I didn't notice it as much before...
I keep him on newspaper with temps around 80-85 during teh day and a hotspot around 90-95.
I have had him for about 3 months.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:44 PM   #4
Mike P.
Welcome to the world of Spiders - Plenty of threads on this behavior - They function and thrive is all that's important...

Old 11-04-2008, 11:01 PM   #5
hhmoore
Quote:
But what he keeps doing is sticking his head in the air and then rolling over backwards ending up on his back rolled over his body. He also eats upside down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
Welcome to the world of Spiders - Plenty of threads on this behavior - They function and thrive is all that's important...
That might be all that's important to you, Mike...but I'd be willing to bet there are a lot of people that don't share that viewpoint. I know I'd be pretty darned upset if any of my spiders were exhibiting that degree of neuro dysfunction.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:07 PM   #6
Ed Clark
Quote:
Hi all,

Thats exactly why I quit breeding spiders and anything crossed with spiders, they ALL have it and you will see ALL at one time or another display those horrible genetic problems.

There is a long list of ball pythons with genetic problems.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:18 PM   #7
xanaxez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post

True words from someone that doesnt care for the animals just the money they can make off of it. good thing i'd never buy anything from you if you had it for sale.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:25 AM   #8
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
That might be all that's important to you, Mike...but I'd be willing to bet there are a lot of people that don't share that viewpoint. I know I'd be pretty darned upset if any of my spiders were exhibiting that degree of neuro dysfunction.
I agree with Harald. It's not a good thing to have and breed snakes with neurological issues. I've been lucky so far that my male has shown no signs, but he's only a year old and it still could develop.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:51 AM   #9
hartge330ci
It really seems like it has gotten worse since I have had him. But I have never spent as much time paying attention to it as I have recently since I moved the snakes to a rack and more centrally located in my house.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:16 AM   #10
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
It really seems like it has gotten worse since I have had him. But I have never spent as much time paying attention to it as I have recently since I moved the snakes to a rack and more centrally located in my house.
It might have just been getting worse as he grows.

Have you gotten in any new animals, and not quarantined them from your current collection? If you are REALLY worried, a vet checkup is never a bad idea. just to give you some peace of mind and all.

Good luck with him.

Dont believe all the hype that some try to say about the spiders, that ALL of them have it, its not proven yet. I know quite a few people personally that produce them and they dont wobble.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!