URGENT!!!CORN SNAKE LOST IN WALLS!!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-21-2018, 06:42 PM   #1
Zach8498
Exclamation URGENT!!!CORN SNAKE LOST IN WALLS!!!!

I was letting my 2 year old corn snake explore with my supervision, then he started exploring the dish washer. At first, I thought he was just interested in it because it was warm. Then I realized there was a crack under the dishwasher. I tried holding him in place to get him out, but he already had a super strong grip, and I couldn't pull him out. I could only prevent his progress. I decided to put his heat mat near the dishwasher and put a mouse near the mat, but he found a hole behind the dishwasher and now he is in the walls. It probably wouldn't be that hard to get him out from under the dishwasher, but he's in the walls. Is there any way to get him out? Please help me soon.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:02 PM   #2
bcr229
All you can do is wait and see if the mouse lures him out. Just make sure he can't actually get to the mouse so he doesn't eat it and then disappear again.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:08 PM   #3
Zach8498
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
All you can do is wait and see if the mouse lures him out. Just make sure he can't actually get to the mouse so he doesn't eat it and then disappear again.
Should I put the mouse in a trap like the one in the picture below.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:59 PM   #4
AbsoluteApril
Yes I would.
Also put lines of flour or sugar around the dishwasher so you can see if he exists and goes to another part of the home. Something I found that helps is also putting plastic bags (something that makes noise easy) around the edges of all the walls - then sit there late at night not making any noise, you may hear the snake moving (they tend to move along edges of things).

I wish you the best of luck!
I've lost one to a hole in the wall before (baby corn). Sadly mine never reappeared.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:34 PM   #5
Zach8498
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
Yes I would.
Also put lines of flour or sugar around the dishwasher so you can see if he exists and goes to another part of the home. Something I found that helps is also putting plastic bags (something that makes noise easy) around the edges of all the walls - then sit there late at night not making any noise, you may hear the snake moving (they tend to move along edges of things).

I wish you the best of luck!
I've lost one to a hole in the wall before (baby corn). Sadly mine never reappeared.
Thanks. I'll do that tonight.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:53 PM   #6
Helenthereef
Good luck, do let us know if you get him.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:39 PM   #7
hotlips
This time of year it's very likely that your corn snake may decide to hibernate in the wall for a "while", as in a few months. So don't give up...he may not come out again until it warms up & then he'll want food. I once had a 5'+ bull snake get loose in mid-November: I looked everywhere without success, but in mid-May, I was walking thru my kitchen one night & there she was on the floor! She had been hibernating all that time under the kitchen cupboards where she was well out of sight & out of my reach...she was just fine, hungry & thirsty, and she went on to live (& breed) for many years beyond that. I've never tried a snake trap like what is shown above but it couldn't hurt (just make sure the hole is slightly larger than your snake so she doesn't get stuck!). Snakes are superb at disappearing into holes (including into upholstered furniture and even down drains or toilets!), I really hope you get a second chance.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:46 PM   #8
Zach8498
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlips View Post
This time of year it's very likely that your corn snake may decide to hibernate in the wall for a "while", as in a few months. So don't give up...he may not come out again until it warms up & then he'll want food. I once had a 5'+ bull snake get loose in mid-November: I looked everywhere without success, but in mid-May, I was walking thru my kitchen one night & there she was on the floor! She had been hibernating all that time under the kitchen cupboards where she was well out of sight & out of my reach...she was just fine, hungry & thirsty, and she went on to live (& breed) for many years beyond that. I've never tried a snake trap like what is shown above but it couldn't hurt (just make sure the hole is slightly larger than your snake so she doesn't get stuck!). Snakes are superb at disappearing into holes (including into upholstered furniture and even down drains or toilets!), I really hope you get a second chance.
Would it be bad if my mom uses the dishwasher while he's hiding?

Old 02-21-2018, 11:54 PM   #9
hotlips
Quick afterthought: corn & other rat snakes love to climb, so if he comes out of the wall (like at night when you're not watching) he might head for furniture, like tall bookshelves. I've played "hide & seek" with a few snakes over the years, but never permanently lost any.
One was a new baby king snake that escaped a store bought cage with sliding screen (there was just a tiny bit of wiggle room...turns out snakes have nothing better to do than find any such weakness)...it helped that she was an albino, it made her easier to see: she ended up in a boot in my closet!
Many years ago when I was new at keeping snakes I had a spare bedroom that was fairly empty & that I made "snake proof" so I could let a snake out to get some exercise. Well I think I ended up getting the most exercise, lol: I gave the highest score to one of my rat snakes...I found her vertically clinging to the inside of a coat hanging in the closet, and the way I spotted her was that the tip of her tail was sticking out through one of the button-holes. (I regret having no picture of that, it was funny)
I've since given up playing "hide & seek" with my snakes, they're way better at it than me!

Old 02-22-2018, 12:05 AM   #10
Zach8498
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlips View Post
Quick afterthought: corn & other rat snakes love to climb, so if he comes out of the wall (like at night when you're not watching) he might head for furniture, like tall bookshelves. I've played "hide & seek" with a few snakes over the years, but never permanently lost any.
One was a new baby king snake that escaped a store bought cage with sliding screen (there was just a tiny bit of wiggle room...turns out snakes have nothing better to do than find any such weakness)...it helped that she was an albino, it made her easier to see: she ended up in a boot in my closet!
Many years ago when I was new at keeping snakes I had a spare bedroom that was fairly empty & that I made "snake proof" so I could let a snake out to get some exercise. Well I think I ended up getting the most exercise, lol: I gave the highest score to one of my rat snakes...I found her vertically clinging to the inside of a coat hanging in the closet, and the way I spotted her was that the tip of her tail was sticking out through one of the button-holes. (I regret having no picture of that, it was funny)
I've since given up playing "hide & seek" with my snakes, they're way better at it than me!
My plan was to stay by the dishwasher 24/7. Is it bad if my mom uses the dishwasher while he is behind or under the dishwasher?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!