whats the difference between a pink eyed leucistic ratsnake and a leucistic ratsnake? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-28-2006, 02:48 PM   #1
RobertIII
whats the difference between a pink eyed leucistic ratsnake and a leucistic ratsnake?

whats the difference between a Pink-Eye Leucistic Texas Rat Snake and a reg leucistic rat snake? is it just a leucistic bred with a albino and thats how they get the pink eye? I saw some in the classifieds, so I was just curious. anyone have pics of the pink eye as an adult? does anyone know if the turn solid white like a leucistic? or do they stay a pink color? thnx again.
-----

Old 08-28-2006, 02:58 PM   #2
Mike Greathouse
The Pink-Eyed Leucistics show up ocassionally in the clutches of Leucistic Texas Ratsnakes. There are usually only one or two in any of the clutches that i have witnessed.

Old 08-28-2006, 03:19 PM   #3
RobertIII
so are they just like a leucistic? solid white with red eyes? or do they have a pinkish hue to them? I have never seen em for sale before so i am trying to get some info on em before i decide to buy one or not

Old 08-28-2006, 07:22 PM   #4
evansnakes
Nope. The pink eyed animals are albinos. The only pigment a leucistic can lose from albinism is in it's eyes.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:41 PM   #5
D. Mong
WRONG!

A pink-eyed leucistic is an albino LEUCISTIC animal, otherwise, the snake would just be a regular albino Texas Ratsnake with a visible pattern. They are NOT just regular albino's. However, the only visible difference is seen in they eyes only, but they are definitely albino AND leucistic at the same time(double homozygous).

best regards, ~Doug

Old 04-22-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
KelliH
Right, that's what Evan stated. That is why he wrote that the only pigment that changes when you add the albino gene in the mix is the eye color.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:50 PM   #7
D. Mong
After reading it again, I figured that's what he meant, but he really didn't make it clear to the original poster that they are both albino AND leucistic snakes. Yes, we are now on the same page on this..LOL!

best regards, ~Doug

Old 04-22-2008, 10:14 PM   #8
D. Mong
A funny thing,..........I bought a leucistic pair at Daytona, one of each sex from separate vendors. A while back, I noticed a funny deep ruby coloration from the male's eyes, I thought I was just seeing things from a funny angle. Well, last week I saw the weird coloration again, and went and got a magnifying glass, lo and behold, it indeed has deep ruby-red eyes!. From others I have seen, the pink eyes are much lighter and more pronounced, also some others I've seen have pink iris's as well. Mine has regular(as leucistics go) light colored iris's, and the eyes are so deep ruby colored they're hard to make out unless you really take a good close look,......very strange!,...but I'm pretty happy about it nontheless.

Anybody else have any feed-back on the extremely deep ruby-red, basically blood-red eyes on a leucistic Texas???, I'm sure the vendor I got it from had no idea whatsoever that it had red eyes, the price reflected it as well.

best regards, ~Doug

Old 08-19-2018, 10:33 AM   #9
dhenderson0524
This is very old but i thought itd be better to bring it back instead of starting a new one, has anyone tried breeding the pink eyed albino lucys to a regular albino to see if the hatchlings come out albino? It would prove the theory and plus youd have some albino het lucys, price tag would be a little higher than the reg het lucy correct? Or is the pink eyed lucy not as popular/favorable?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!