Herpstat vs Helix DBS-1000 - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

View Poll Results: Herpstat vs Helix DBS-1000
Herpstat 69 62.73%
Helix DBS-1000 41 37.27%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2005, 02:48 PM   #31
MGReptiles
Rancos are a good unit too, if they woudl make a quad probe ranco then that would be awsome

Old 06-12-2005, 01:15 PM   #32
KelliH
We have Helix units that are at least 7 years old and they are still working exactly as they did when they were brand new units. I have never used the Herpstat and it is probably a great product but we will continue to use Helix thermostats.

Old 12-13-2005, 04:06 PM   #33
MGReptiles
Here is an email I received form a customer the other day.. I have had 3 of these phone calls and emails the past week alone! BE CAREFUL!!

To: matt@mgreptiles.com
Subject: Thermostat disaster
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 00:38:57 -0600

Hi Matt,

"I have a thermostat emergency!! I spent all day Sunday setting up the new flexwatt I got from you, only to find out that the Helix I got is worthless...it's basically a $130.00 thermometer! It won't adjust the temps. I'm trying to get it replaced, but I'm now in a SERIOUS bind. I need a thermostat yesterday (has anyone invented a time machine yet?).

I would like to get a Herpstat next day air (so I get it sometime on Tuesday) to my work. "

Old 12-15-2005, 10:38 PM   #34
aliceinwl
I've got three Helixes. One for my incubator and two for my AP racks. I double check the temp readings with thermometers and my temp gun and they've always agreed with the Helix readout. And, even though the rooms my racks and incubators are in experience significant temperature fluctuations, my rack and incubator temps never even seem to fluctuate a degree. I bought my units direct from Helix and they were very responsive and took a lot of time to answer all my questions, help me select the features I needed, and made sure I knew how to properly position the probe etc.

When I went to make my original thermostat purchase, I did seriously consider the Herpstat, but went with the Helix since it had more of a track record. I'm glad to here that the Herpstat seems to be an equivalent. It's always good to have options.

-Alice

Old 04-09-2006, 08:16 PM   #35
ninx00x
Although no one has posted in the thread in a while, I thought I would add something to it anyways. I own two Herpstats that I bought over a year ago. They are the original Herpstats with the optional night drop, not the newer ones with it already built in. I don't remember where I bought them from, it was a reseller that was listed on the Spyder Robotics website. But since I've had them, I have not had any problems with them. They are easy to use, and although the instructions aren't fancy or anything, they are very easy to understand. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a proportional thermostat.

Old 08-13-2006, 03:49 PM   #36
christopher66
Nothing against Helix,but i really like my Herpstats better.
1 I like that i get temps in increments of 10Th's,which i find handy with my Chondros.
2.They are a little cheaper and i don't believe you lose any value, They are just as well built as the Helix.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:13 PM   #37
Mike P.
I had one problem with the original herpstat - I sent it in to Dion, he found the cord on the probe to be the problem, replaced it, and shipped it back the same day - no problems since.

In the interim, I used a cheap on/off thermostat and ordered a Helix - The Helix started constantly cycling and would not function properly - I sent it in to Jeff to take a look at, and about 3 1/2 - 4 weeks later finally got it back - They could find nothing wrong with it - Possibly power surges were causing the problem.

It's still under warranty and still does not function properly - If power surges are the problem, than the helix is too sensitive - they have not affected my original herpstat from functioning properly.

I've now ordered a herpstat II to replace the helix - I'm not satisfied with the helix at all, and the time it took to get it back to act up the same as it did when I sent it in.

I'll stick to Spyder Robotics products

Old 06-26-2007, 10:54 AM   #38
Kingetula
I know this is an old topic but it still is helpful.

I was looking at getting Helix for my 15 AP T-12 cages that will be coming with belly heat. I picked Helix for the name, reputation and it was on AP website but really didn't know much about them. I started searching the web and quickly saw many complaints about Helix. I guess at one time they were good but it seems now Helix made some changes and the product is having some problems. (Of course this is just what I have read and no facts were provided to back up this claim) Reading on many people were promoting Herpstat so that is when I started googling Herpstat and came across this thread.

It has convinced me to buy a Herpstat. Next I will be looking at mgreptiles.com (Time to find a low price)

Old 06-26-2007, 11:27 AM   #39
garweft
You should check the Board of Inquiry (BOI) on this site before ordering from mgreptiles. There are a lot of threads that complain about his service, here are a few...

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ght=mgreptiles

These aren't the only ones, but they do give you an idea. I buy my herpstats from beanfarm.com myself, but there are a few other good dealers as well.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:27 AM   #40
christopher66
I order my Herp stats straight from SyderRobotics,your going to pay the same price(unless someone is running a sale)as you would from a retail source,mabye a tad less.Also and this to me is more impportant then price...i recieve it in three days.When i order..it ships that day express mail...and i recive it within 3 days !On all 7 ive bought direct ive only had one not be there in 3 days,it came in the next day.

http://www.spyderrobotics.com/index.html

Chris

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!