Map Turtle help needed - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
Snoopysmom
Map Turtle help needed

I have a young map turtle. He was WC this last spring and kept in at my campground this last summer in a turtle tank we had set up. I brought him home for the winter because we don't get maps at the lake next to the campground and I decided it would be easier to over winter him. I'm gonna guess he is a 2 or 3 yr old. The shell is about 4 inches diameter.

The problem is: He hasn't eaten in about 2 months. He is in a set up with fresh water and a basking area. I have tried lengthening his "daylight" hours by adjusting the light but that hasn't worked. I've offered regular turtle food (pellets) that he got (and ate) all summer, a few small feeder fish and even a worm or two. He has rejected them all.

I know some reptiles don't eat as much during the winter even if their cages are kept at normal temps. At least, that is what my snake does. But I worry that this guy is too small to fast that long.

Any ideas?

Old 01-22-2009, 07:58 AM   #2
Snoopysmom
Never mind... I think I got it. We'll have to wait and see.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:27 AM   #3
TheFragginDragon
Wish I could offer advice, but I have zilch experience with turtles beyond the basics. Sounds like even with the artificially induced longer daylight hours, he's still in the 'i should be hibernating' mode.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
Snoopysmom
Well, I think my temps were off slightly. My basking area was only around 85 and should be up in the 90's plus I found out that the bulb I was using doesn't have uvb... its a broad spectrum instead of a full spectrum. I'll get those changed and see if it makes a difference.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!