Testimonial: Dark Forest Reptiles is Garbage! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:02 AM   #1
Goomba
Testimonial: Dark Forest Reptiles is Garbage!

Dark Forest Reptiles is an absolutely awful and abysmal establishment at best. An absolute torture to do business with. Aside from their negligent photos of Pacman frogs eating dead and bloated pacman frogs (obvious victimes of redleg) on their website, they take even less care in shipping live animals. I ordered a Budgett's frog from them and it arrived in an uncooled and lacklusterly packaged box. No significant padding was used to secure the flailing deli cup, no ice packs, nothing. Mind you, this was from Florida to Arizona, the hottest state in the union. The package also came at 3pm, not 10:30am as they promised, they knew damn well the frog wasn't shipped next day prioriry, rather basic next day, allowing the fragile creature to boil to death. I tried countless times to get tracking numbers and to simply contact someone in regards to my rights as their customer, and Nick, the owner, would just ignore me and say he'd call me back or send me an email, then mysteriously vanish for the rest of the day every time I called back... Needless to say I never got a response. It was like pulling teeth just to get some common courtesy out of these clowns.
When I finally got in touch, he RUDELY (as if I should feel guilty about complaining about his halfassed business ethics and disgusting packaging) said he'd send a replacement frog....and never did, rather he refunded my money without telling me and lead my on a wild goose chase waiting for a frog that never came.

I highly suggest you NEVER buy from Dark Forest Reptiles. I know I'm not the only person to have had negative experiences with them, and I surely wouldn't wish it upon anyone. The biggest shame is that so many animals have to be subjected to such atrocious treatment....I mean no precautions where taken in the shipping of this poor, living, breathing animal. A true pity.

Good riddance to bad rubbish!

Old 07-02-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
nora
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomba
Dark Forest Reptiles is an absolutely awful and abysmal establishment at best. An absolute torture to do business with. Aside from their negligent photos of Pacman frogs eating dead and bloated pacman frogs (obvious victimes of redleg) on their website, they take even less care in shipping live animals.
wouldnt that have been your first warning in not ordering from them? I mean seriously, if they have pictures of dead frogs being fed off to other frogs, that wouldve made me turn around and not look back.. I mean seriously, i know there was a thread that was made recently about Nick and there were several people who complained about him... so my question is, why order something from someone when they've got a whole thread of complaints? that is yet another red flag...

Personally, i think you used poor decision making and you're by far lucky to have gotten your money back at least. Hope this is a lesson learned.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:47 PM   #3
Goomba
Because I didn't see the list of complaints against him...
The fact is I didn't know of his half-assed business ethics until after I decided to order a Budgett's since his ad looked promising, needless to say, I will never order from him again.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:59 AM   #4
Ameivaboy
I agree that the website should have tipped you off, any time you are dealing with someone you should (besides checking the BOI for info on them ) Keep a lookout for any red flags, and if you find some and still go through with the transaction and get burned well..........

Old 07-25-2007, 11:28 PM   #5
BURMLOVE
RE:Dark Forest Reptiles is horrible!!!

I ordered a male green Anaconda from these jokers, and it was the worst experience. He was shipped out on Mon. July 23, and he was supposed to be delivered the next day before 7:00pm. Well, on Tues. I entered my tracking number and the website said he was scheduled to arrive 2nd day air!! I called Nick, and he looked on the Fed-Ex website and saw that he was being shipped second day air. He told me he would make a call and call me RIGHT back. Well, I waited for at least an hour, and no call. I called him back again, and he said he was waiting for a call back, but that they said a lot of the time the computer info. is inaccurate. He said he would still arrive by 7opm. I eventually called Fed-Ex back and it was apparent that he wasn't getting here until Wed. sometime. I was pretty mad by this time, and called back and had to talk to a guy (Brian) I think. He told me Nick had left for the day. I voiced my concern about the snake, because the weather has been soo hot here. He assured me that snakes can withstand temps. of 150 degrees and that he would be fine. Okay, so there isn't a living animal, except for certain forms of bacteria that can take that temp. for any length of time. He claimed neither he or Nick shipped the animal 2nd day air, and that the error was made by Fed-Ex. I then asked if I would get my money back if the animal arrived dead. He said they don't give cash back, and that they would get me another snake. I told him I didn't want another snake, and that if he was dead, I didn't want to do business with them. He then told me to not get irate with him. As you can see, this was going nowhere. He kept talking over me, and I couldn't get a word in anywhere. He gave me alot of false information. I hung up on him, and prayed my snake would make it here alive. He arrived today, Wed. and he's okay. Apart from being mad because he's in shed, he looks like he's in pretty good shape. I would definitely not do business with these losers again. I hope he really is a male, because I didn't want a female. Also, I think they owe me something, because 2nd day air doesn't cost as much. I paid $300 for this boy. Does anyone think I should gripe at Nick further? I really don't want to talk to anyone there again, but this experience has made me mad! They are not trustworthy, so please avoid them if you can. -Amy

Old 07-26-2007, 12:58 AM   #6
Ed Clark
I think you should gripe about that $300.00 price tag on a Green Anaconda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BURMLOVE
I ordered a male green Anaconda from these jokers, I think they owe me something, because 2nd day air doesn't cost as much. I paid $300 for this boy. Does anyone think I should gripe at Nick further? -Amy

Old 07-26-2007, 06:46 PM   #7
Wolfy-hound
Despite the horrendous shipping, if the guy was happy with a $300 price tag on the snake, and the snake is what it was supposed to me(I.E. it's not a female) then he has no compalint that he could have gotten one cheaper elsewhere.
You SHOULD be compensated for the shipping, since YOU paid THEM for overnight shipping. If they say that FedEx messed up, you tell them that you did not pay FedEx... you paid THEM.. THEY should deal with FedEx AFTER giving you the difference for shipping.
And don't order from them again. I'd hope that when someone sees pictures of frogs eating other dead frogs, they would not buy from them, no matter how good the price seems.
Congrats on your new green anaconda too!
Theresa Baker

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!