humidity issues - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
grizlywinkleman
humidity issues

struggling to keep the humidity up in my snake cages. Also, One of my snakes still has her eye cap from her shed on and I can't get it off. I tried gently wiping it off with a wet paper towel and holding her head under water a number of times. What should I do?

As always thanks,
Ryan

Old 10-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
Subdriven
Hate to say I've had to pick it off. Not fun.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
snakesRkewl
100% humidity in a soak tub for an hour
85 degree water an 1 1/2 or so
a hand towel
add snake and let soak for 30 minutes and replenish the water for another 30 minutes.

I would never recommend picking a snakes stuck eye cap off...

I'd address why it happened in the first place, if you can't keep up humidity in your cages then maybe you need a different cage?
Or maybe you can alter the existing one so it does hold humidity better.

Pics of the cage?

Old 10-24-2011, 06:51 AM   #4
crookedantler
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
100% humidity in a soak tub for an hour
85 degree water an 1 1/2 or so
a hand towel
add snake and let soak for 30 minutes and replenish the water for another 30 minutes.

I would never recommend picking a snakes stuck eye cap off...

I'd address why it happened in the first place, if you can't keep up humidity in your cages then maybe you need a different cage?
Or maybe you can alter the existing one so it does hold humidity better.

Pics of the cage?

Old 10-24-2011, 07:49 AM   #5
Focal
I also add a rock to the water while they are soaking. Sometimes it pulls some off and they usually curl around it.

I would make sure your cage isn't over-ventilated. That always seems like the main culprit for humidity issues. Tape some holes, get a new tub, put a wet towel daily over the screen lid if it's a tank, put the water bowl over/under the heat source, mist daily etc.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:54 PM   #6
grizlywinkleman
I tried soaking her for 45 minutes than gently wiped her eye and head with a soft wet wash cloth with no success. I did the eye wiping right over the sink and continuously rinsed the cloth in warm water and gently wiped her eye/head over and over for about 20 minutes. She shore is being a great sport about this. I have for the last couple of days poured water in her aspine bedding and I even tried draping wet paper towel over her head and letting her crawl under it numerous times. Still no luck. I would really hate to see her loose an eye or something horrible like that.

I have pics coming, just have to figure it out. Hope I was heading in the right direction with the info everyone has provided.

Thanks again,
Ryan

Old 10-25-2011, 11:14 PM   #7
grizlywinkleman
Here are my pics of the cages.
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2011, 07:10 AM   #8
Focal
I would stop trying to get it off to be honest. It will come off with the next shed. If it doesn't and builds up, then you need to be worried. No sense in stressing and potentially hurting her (not that you are).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!