Attention, Dan Wedeking.... - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:25 PM   #21
critical bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
That bet was made on May 7, 2005. Two years is up as of TODAY. Looks like you owe me $500 Dan, as you have obviously LOST the bet.
Wow....I guess you really have to respect the power of Microsoft's Outlooks Event Reminder feature. Such is an event that I would certainly have utilized this feature for one of my former close friends and then but only to know it wasn't even really worth the reminder at all except but to bind him to it and further remind me of what I actually lost.

And the beat goes on.....

Old 05-08-2007, 04:01 PM   #22
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
Does the topic line say [BAD GUY], Seamus? Maybe you are just jumping to assumptions about things. This is a public NOTICE for anyone now in contact with Dan to remind him of this bet. If you have ever bothered to read the rules about posting in this forum you would have noted that INFO items are most certainly allowed. But I do think that some people filter all they see through the way THEY look at life in general......

My intention of posting it here, regardless of your own skewed opinion of things, was because I knew THIS is the place it would get the most attention. It appears that ALL of Dan's past websites and contact info is no longer valid. I did try to track him down via Google and sent an email recently, but I have no idea if that is valid either.

And I certainly think, Seamus, that you truthfully understand this. But the urge to try to blow up yet another conflict proves to be irresistible to you (and others here)....

Yeah, I FULLY expected the usual suspects to pile on in here with nothing constructive to add to yet another thread........
I never said it was a bad guy post. I said it reeked of juvenile instigation.

The words you chose to write in all caps, the timing and placement on the BOI rather than the missing persons forum and the fact that you're well aware of the names and contact information of a number of people who are likely to have kept in contact with the Wedekings. It doesn't come across like an innocent anything.

Dan's a good guy who respectfully disagreed with you about a decision you made. He explained his position logically and without any rancor and when it came time for him to make his own decision about his continued support- financial and through attention and effort- he made it. While it wasn't something he hid and some of the process was posted in a public forum, he can hardly be said to have conducted himself inappropriately or with anything less than tact and decorum.

If it were solely about the money, collecting what is owed, you would have gone about it differently. With the same kind of respect you and he used to feel the other was due. This thread had circus written all over it from the begining; the placement, the date, the implied inability to collect on a debt, all while simultaneously ripping the scab off a subject long healed for renewed debate and argument.

Yet I'm the one with an urge to aggrivate a conflict? All I said is that this thread and the choices made in it's creation were classless and crass moves. And they are. When it explodes as it's likely to, be sure to feel at least a modicum of responsibility- don't blame any resulting conflict on anyone else.

This martyr cycle is getting a little worn. Step one- do something controversial. Step two- blame anyone who disagrees for the full burden of culpability. Step three- act wounded. Step four- bring it up at inappropriate future dates. Step five- repeat endlessly until you've driven off every single person who was once a supporter.

Not everyone who disagrees with an action or predicts a different outcome or voices a dissenting opinion has to be an enemy. They just become them when they get kicked in the teeth for thinking differently.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:11 PM   #23
Seamus Haley
In reading my own last post, I come across a lot more confrontational and accusatory than I would like to and for that attitude- although not the content- I apologize.

My point, stated simply and without bias- is that Dan is a good guy who doesn't deserve to be beaten up for any reason. And that I believe the creation of this thread in it's current incarnation is likely to have negative results. There were countless alternatives that seem like they would have been more sensible approaches.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:00 PM   #24
WebSlave
Yeah, right, Seamus. Take another look at this thread from the beginning and tell me where the bashing is coming from towards anyone.....

Old 05-08-2007, 05:03 PM   #25
jglass38
I certainly have my opinion but it would just get me fined and suspended for disagreeing with "the king"

Old 05-08-2007, 05:08 PM   #26
TylerStewart
Rich, realizing that you're the mighty one on Fauna (it's your site, your rules etc.), would Dan be labelled as a "Bad Guy" or made to look like he owed some debt if he felt that since the rules had changed, the bet was no longer valid? I don't assume there's a jury or a vote (your site, your rules), so if he simply refuses to pay, what's the next step?

Old 05-08-2007, 05:15 PM   #27
mattjillson
I've done business with Dan a few times in the past. Always an upright and solid guy. Never any hesitiation to do more business with him should I have the need. Not sure if he is still running Scales or not as I haven't spoken with him in a couple years now, but if he owes you the money I would be pretty surprised if he didn't do the right thing and pay it off. IMO, sounds to me at this point, a bet is a bet since nobody clarified anything except in 2 years Fauna would be shut down and here we are today typing about it.

I do have to agree somewhat with what Seamus had to say though Rich. I don't think this is a BOI issue and shouldn't be here as it can somewhat be seen as, at this point, a negative thing towards Dan. I do remember you utilizing the right side banner a little bit ago to out a guy who ripped you off. I don't see why that banner couldn't have been used again to say something along the lines of, "Dan Wedeking lost a bet", or "DW owes me $500". I think at least in this way it would be seen more in a humorous light, wouldn't have any negative connotations for Dan AND you would have gotten your point across. After a week or so of that and if he didn't pay you/or reach out, at that point I think a BOI thread is justifiable for all to add their opinion to. Just my opinion of course.

-Matt

Old 05-08-2007, 05:37 PM   #28
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEBEASTREPTIL
Rich, realizing that you're the mighty one on Fauna (it's your site, your rules etc.), would Dan be labelled as a "Bad Guy" or made to look like he owed some debt if he felt that since the rules had changed, the bet was no longer valid? I don't assume there's a jury or a vote (your site, your rules), so if he simply refuses to pay, what's the next step?
Best I can figure, there are three likely possibilities:
  1. I'll never hear from Dan again.
  2. Dan will tell me he feels the bet is invalid.
  3. Dan will pay the bet with no fanfare or comment.

Your guess is as good as mine as to which one will take place. He may have pushed this industry so far away from him that he has severed all ties with anyone and everyone involved with this stuff. So he may never hear about this nor remember the bet. There are very few other places on the web where I could expect to get his attention any better than here, under the circumstances.

But in any event, if he pays, he pays. If he doesn't, he doesn't. I SERIOUSLY doubt I am anywhere near as worked up over this as some of you appear to be.

I'm just amused that someone WOULD have placed a bet of this nature with me. I held absolutely ALL the cards in this one... It's like someone betting me $500 that I wouldn't eat a sandwich before Tuesday. All I had to do is to mark the calendar, and not eat a sandwich till that date.....

In this case, I simply had to do NOTHING at all to win the bet.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:54 PM   #29
David Reid
I live in the same town as Dan...

He and his wife are great people. Dan closed down Scales a few years ago, much to my dismay, as I bought rats from him weekly, for over a year. Anyhow, even if I did know where he was, I think I would keep it to myself. If you do not shake on it, as far as I am concerned, no bet! I think you have to spit in a hand too, not sure if you spit in your hand or the other persons, hmmm. Leave Dan alone...

Dave

Old 05-08-2007, 10:42 PM   #30
Wilomn
I think the bet was fair. I think Dan would think the bet was fair. He has moved on TOTALLY from the reptile world. I have not heard from Dan in almost 2 years. IF he remembers this or is reminded of it the only thing I see him doing is paying it off.

I do agree with Seamus, this could have been handled in a kinder gentler manner.

But, the King will do as he wishes. Plain and simple.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!