adapting to new suroundings - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-29-2004, 01:25 AM   #1
phillyroc
adapting to new suroundings

just got my first savannah monitor ..... offered it food and did not eat it.... some meal worms and some cat food.....

how long should i wait to feed again????

how should i offer him food....in a container a lid????????

and what kind of fod should i offer him??????

when should i start to worry about it not eating ... well i only have him about 10 hours now but .....

he is very active.........

how big will he get ....??????

thanks

rocco

Old 06-29-2004, 07:39 PM   #2
robb
How is your new little monitor doing? Eaten yet? You might want to try some crickets, one of mine wouldn't eat anything unless it got to chase it down at first.

As far as going forward, it should eat crickets, mealworms, pinkies, then adult mice. Prepared monitor diet if you can get them into the habit of eating it is alright too. As they get older they will eat more and more rodents, but they shouldn't eat as often. Depending on the age of yours now, it should be eating darn near every day. But as they get to their adult size you'll want to scale that back to once every 3 to 4 days. Savannahs love to get fat if you let them

I've never been a big fan of feeding cat and dog foods to herps (just personal thing, not trying to start a debate)

The monitor will easily get 3.5 feet long. I hope you've got a plan on where to keep the little bugger A

Old 06-29-2004, 10:58 PM   #3
phillyroc
he ate today

thanks dude... he ate one small pinky and 8 large crickets.....

he is in a 2o gal long right now but i have a 55 long for him....
i am in the process of making plans to build an enclosure around 6 foot long,,,, 3 foot wide and 4-5 foot high....would that be siutable for an adult.....

should i feed him again tomorow???? and sould it be as much as i fed him today???

the day i got him he was cool and today he is hissing and opening his mouth at me... whats should i do to make him more tame???

is there time after he eats that i should not handle him????like a snake????will handling to soon make him regurge????

thanks all help is appreciated......

thanks again

rocco

Old 06-29-2004, 11:23 PM   #4
robb
I assume he's still young. Until it's a little bit longer then 12" What I do is feed a pinkie twice a week and about a dozen (or more) crickets a day. I dust the circkets once a week and dust the pinkies every time. I find with my monitors, each one is very much their own critter as to how much they eat.

You cage size sounds alright. You could make it a bit higher to accomadate ALOT of substrate, they LOVE to dig ... dig dig dig ....

As for him hissing ... he's shy, gotta get used to you. The best way is to start slow, but keep it up. If all he'll let you do is pet him a little, start doing that, once he relizes you're not trying to eat him it'll get better. My last Savaanha (RIP) was like having a pet cat. Hopefully you have a young one, because the older wild caught ones I've encountered never calmed down.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!