I just got a Sumatran Water Monitor - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-30-2004, 05:10 PM   #1
dself40
I just got a Sumatran Water Monitor

I just got a Sumatran Water Monitor a few days ago and man these critters are awesome!!!.This is my first monitor and I know I guess I should have started with the smaller ones but I love the Water monitor's.Plus they get huge.I am sure there will be many more to follow just like the snakes did..lol..I just cant get over how smart the monitor's are.My little guy/gal is around 2 foot and is very curious.Any of you other members here have any of the Water monitor's. in your collection?Once he settles in a little more I will get pics of him/her.

Old 06-09-2004, 11:34 PM   #2
dself40
Well no pics yet but I am still trying..lol..He/she doesnt like to sit still. And damn does it ever have a bite .He/she has got me a few times and it is true what they say they have one hell of a bite and a monster set of teeth.But i guess thats part of it.I still love the lil guy/girl.Maybe one of these days it will calm down and be my buddy.(I am hope).Anyone else out there have any of these awesome critters?

Old 06-27-2004, 03:13 PM   #3
TonyV
The Waters have aleways been my fovorite They are buy far the smartest Monitorive ever delt with. I have one I purchased at the Tinley Park Illinois convention it is growin like a weed have you wormed yours yet???
I would suggest it I worm mine 1 - 2 times a year just to be safe make sure you keep him warm and keep the water clean thats where alot of them get there parasites (worms) I have snakes and lizzards Monitors I have a black throat a water and a nile Monitor. I will agree on the the wicked bite thing I have been laced into by a few Monitors Your liitle one there will out grow tthat flightyness most likely. Good luck with your new addition

Old 06-27-2004, 03:25 PM   #4
dself40
He was dewormed before I got him.But if I should do it again I can that.I have never wormed a monitor.How do you go about doing yours?I dont mind the flightyness its the bitting that hurts like hell.I just wonder if he will frow out of that?He is real shy and hides most of the time and if he is out and you look at him he runs and hides.He eats like mad as long as you arent watching.You can try and hand feed him and he says no way man.But I have a bowl in there that I leave his food in and you can leave the room for a while and come back and it will be gone.But if you piss him/her off the mouse will be torn to shreds like he is showing you want he is capable of..lol..

And suggestions on calming him/her down?..lol..

Old 06-27-2004, 05:00 PM   #5
TonyV
Water Monitor

Just give it time it will mellow out its biting because its scared one of the biggest reasons they bite is because they feel threatened when you restrain them meaning holding them tight where they cant walk about freely in your hands let it walk from hand to hand for a bityou will be amazed at how after a few minutes it trusts you and realizes its ok. They all are nippy as babies they are real cool when just born and then after a few short months get a little nippy but keep handling it cause you will show it that it will be ok.worming is simple Panacure OR droncitt Monitors will eat when they have worms or Parasites unlike snakes and a few other animals that quit eating all together so it can be a very tricky thing knowing your monitors are infected. As far as it running and hiding its supposed to thats a good sign cause if it just sat there that would deffinately mean it was sick. Make sure it has a hide box or place to hide its something they need to stay healthy without one they become easily stressed out and that can cause other problems or atleast contribute to other problems like not eating. Dont just feed it raw meats and rodents this also will turn your cute little pet into a flighty aggressive monster. Also to much meat is hard on there stomaches when there babies. Give it lots of supplimented crickets to start out with. use a good vitamin and mineral suppliment to sprinkle on the crickets I use Minerall give raw ground Turkey 1-2 times a week rodents 1-2 times a week also but crickets should be available at all times with every meal that roughage is good for there system. You can also offer a good canned cat or dog food I recomend good lean canned dog food cat food has a little more oilds in it and is again hard on there little digestive track but there are a good canned cat food IAMS DIAMOND and a few others but I and alot of other owners use canned dog food. keep tha monitor at atleast 85 degrees you can do it bye using a 20 gallon long with a 75 what tear drop style or spotlight style black light bulb or regular style 65 to 75 watt red or black light bulbs work as well use cypruss mulch wood chips as a flooring keep it moist not soaking wet with the heat from the light it will stay nice and humid. I use a bowl of water thats smaller just so they can drink as you will find out they will use there water bowl as a toilet and then drink and swim in it thats a good start for worms and other Parasites so change that water evryday if not twice a day it sounds like alot of work but this is a bulletproof way of housing them I have had alot of lizzards over half of them Water Monitors and this is whats worked for me. Good luck ......Tony......

Old 06-27-2004, 06:27 PM   #6
dself40
Thanks for the help Tony.I feed him/her cricks and mice I havent been able to get him/her to eat turkey but I will try the canned dog food and see.I have two hides one on the hot spot end and one on the coller end.And he/she goes back and forth.But again thanks of the help.I know theres not alot of info out there on these monitors or atleast I havent found alot..

Old 07-02-2004, 01:24 AM   #7
phillyroc
[b]
I would suggest it I worm mine 1 - 2 times a year just to be safe make sure you keep him warm and keep the water clean thats where alot of them get there parasites (worms) I have snakes and lizzards Monitors I have a black throat a water and a nile Monitor.

hey whats up dude.... i am new to monitors and read what you said about worming can you give me some info.....

what type of wormer do i use.... i have panicur and pyrantel paomate both are for dogs and one is for people and dogs...

my lil savannah is just @ 8 inches right now...

any info or sugestions would be great

thanks\

rocco

Old 07-02-2004, 01:45 AM   #8
TonyV
is your panicure in the ciringe type tube?? If so you can use a 1/4 inch line to ground turkey that works best but i have also just put it on a frozen thawed rodent do that once and then 2 weeks later give another1/4 inch line to the liitle one and that should do it. There are different types of parasites (worms) that would need flagyl or another form of wormer but Panacure is a common household tool in my house as far as reptiles go I hit every Monitor that comes into my house for safety. But without knowing what strength and types of wormer you have its hard to say.

Old 07-04-2004, 06:12 PM   #9
nick189
hey judging by your posts you all seem to be enjoying your water monitors. i have a savanah monitor which is about 2.5 ft. fully grown (which is the perfect size for me). i now want to add either a water or nile or some other amphibius monitor to my collection, however i cant keep one that will grow more than 3 ft. i was wondering if anyone knows of maybe a different type of breed or a place that would have some kind of minature moniotrs or something. i know a few people who have water and nile monitors and they absolutely love them and i know i would too its just that i cant keep anything to big so any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
nick

Old 09-22-2004, 05:58 PM   #10
new yawk
water monitor

new member today i have a water monitor he is a little guy he can really eat he eats about six pinkies a day i will put pictures on soon.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!