please sign this petition! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-21-2004, 07:23 AM   #1
Manhattan Herps
please sign this petition!

about the ban of reptiles here in NY , we could use all the signatures we can get!

please guys!

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/vandal01/petition.html

Old 07-21-2004, 06:44 PM   #2
Glenn Bartley
When you address the governor of any state, especially when you are petitioning him/her to help your cause, it would be prudent and courteous to use his/her whole name and to capitalize the first letter of his/her last name. He should be addressed as Governor George E. Pataki.

You may think this a minor point, but the governor may find it somewhat insulting. In that case do you think he would be more or less willing to help? He is or was once a reptile keeper. Let's keep him sympathetic to our cause through, at least in part, our use of common courtesy when addressing him.

Old 07-21-2004, 10:50 PM   #3
E2MacPets
I do find it amusing that you quoted Bruce Lowder's post from 6/27 http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...threadid=42905 as the entire text of the petition.

What will this petition really achieve?

Old 07-22-2004, 12:54 AM   #4
Glenn Bartley
Steve,

I cannot speak for this petition in particular and any effect it may have, but apparently some influence has caused the governor to send the bill back to the assembly to be amended. From what I have heard it was sent back to specificaly amend the section about all boids being lumped together. While I am against this bill outright, and think the whole bill should be canned, it is at least nice to see that the governor is trying to go about it in a more reasonable manner than did the state assmembly. Some boids faling under the provisions of this bill would be better than all boids falling under its curse. My guess is that the letters, emails, phone calls and petitions already received by the governor had something to do with his refusal to sign this bill as it was presented.

Additional petitions, emails, letters and phone calls - at this point -will still likely bolster support for those who are oppposed to the bill (even if the petition is not officially recognized it may help lend support for our cause), and may yet have an impact upon the future assembly action on this issue. I say keep the petitions, emails, letters and phone calls rolling - but not just to the governor - also contact the state assembly.

Best regards,
Glenn B

Old 07-22-2004, 11:11 AM   #5
E2MacPets
I agree, but this petition only used the words of Bruce Lowder's post to us here on fauna.

By signing a petition with only what Bruce wrote, what are you asking for? You're basically only acknowledging that you've read it.

All Bruce stated was that NY is trying to ban reptiles and provided information to contact the Gov.

What is it you want Gov. Pataki to do in response to this petition? Email himself?

Old 07-24-2004, 09:39 AM   #6
meretseger
Wouldn't it be better to have a paper petition signed by people who actually... live in New York? I don't think the sig of a person in a different state submitted electronically is going to do a bit of good. If you really care, hit the pavement with a clipboard and a pen.

Erin B.

Old 07-24-2004, 10:22 PM   #7
Glenn Bartley
Steve,

Well like I said
Quote:
Steve

I cannot speak for this petition in particular and any effect it may have,...
Erin,

While a paper petition from people in New York would be nice, it is probably advisable to submit petitions with signatures of anyone who buys herps in NY or from dealers in NY regardless of where the buyer lives. At the recent White Plains show, the LIHS had a paper petition that we encouraged everyone to sign regardless of their residency so long as they were legal. The petition was being signed at one of the largest reptile expos in NY state if not the largest. Lots of TAX PAYERS attend, not just income tax papyers but SALES TAX PAYERS. This is why it is a good thing for people outside NY to sign, so the state G sees how much potential revenue can be lost by the signing of such a bill.

As to hitting the streets, yeah nice idea if you have thousands of people throughout the state to set up with petitions. A better idea may be to hit the pets shops and get customer signatures.
This way you are set up where you would be likely to get sympathetic people to sign.
Best regards,
Glenn B

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!