need some help/advice/possibly a smack - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-17-2012, 03:04 AM   #1
furcifer
need some help/advice/possibly a smack

Ok,
I need some advice (possibly a smack across the back of my head).

My wife has convinced me to buy a bearded dragon for my 18 month old son (I am beginning to think it is more for her though). She found one that she liked quite a bit and I approved. I have been working feverishly on a stand for a 40g breeder that is 18 month old proof. It doesn't have any doors or storage areas that can be invaded by him. It is very, very sturdy and the tank sits in the stand instead of sitting on top of the stand.

In the process of ensuring that I had all the right equipment, I purchased a ceramic heat emmiter, 10.0 UVB fluorescent bulb, basking bulb, and various timers.

What is a good diet for a baby beardie? What is a good insect dust that is well balanced for bearded dragons?

Old 04-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
frillielover17
Baby silkworms, baby hornworms, phoenix/calci/repti-worms, crickets, and various roaches (dubia seems to be a favorite) are healthy to offer on a daily basis to baby dragons. I usually feed twice a day at least an hour after lights on and then again around 5 when I get home from work. Here's a list of good and bad foods http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Repashy makes good calciums as does Rep-cal and I've heard the Zoo Med ones are alright.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
furcifer
Thank you for the reply Candice.

I have been told that the Repashy products are top notch and that I should also try the Calcium Complex from bearded dragon dot co.

I ordered plenty of Repashy and the Calcium Complex.
I have been having a hard time trying to find silkworms though and it seems as if most only carry eggs.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
frillielover17
Silkworms are often difficult to come by and/or seasonal. Raising them from eggs is really simple but the food gets pricey unless you have a mulberry tree near you that you can take the leaves from.

I bred silkworms for a while until the food just got too expensive. Now I bought a mulberry tree so I can have a free supply of food (once it grows a bit).

Old 04-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
SapphireGemReptiles
also finely chopped collard greens, finely shreded butternut squash, grociery dandilion greens if you can find them at the store finly chopped again (no bigger then space between little guy's eyes) in combo with your bugs to even out the diet for the little guy, he may not eat the veggies asap but i found a trick to sprinkle the crickets on to the veggies he can get a bit trying to get at the bugs.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #6
furcifer
Thanks for the advice everyone, I really appreciate it.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
Sushi Dragons
I would consider partitioning off the tank until the dragon is older. Younger babies have greater success with feeding if the prey can't scatter to the winds. I usually keep hatchlings in a 20 gallon long, or equivalent.

Congrats on your new dragon, your wife has great taste if she chose a beardie! Post pictures when he/she arrives!

Old 04-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
OEdwards
I find cal-stron to be a high quality calcium and like Rachel said a smaller tank and little furniture helps keep bacteria at a lower amount nothing with holes crix will go in the and come out at night and chew on your dragon

Old 04-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
OEdwards
oh and i personaly find that substarate wise paper towel to line the cage bottom and paper towel to line the bottom(connected rows of paper towel) this is my personal and professional oppinion

Old 04-18-2012, 04:28 AM   #10
mikepanzarella
congrats on the new dragons they are the best
your best bet would be to ask the breeder you got the dragon from im sure they would have all that information and can email you a caresheet or something along those line
make sure to keep baby dragons hydrated its as important as food (atleast i think so)
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Healthpage.html
there a link that should help you out with all your questions i think every breeder has used that site atleast once (if not alot) alot of great info
good luck with your dragon great pet to have

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!