CA Red-Sided Garter Snake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Snakes For Sale/Wanteds > Hognose, Garter, Water & Ribbon Snakes

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 12:25 AM   #1
wildthing642
CA Red-Sided Garter Snake

Hello everyone, it's Michael again.

I am wondering, how much would a CA Red-Sided Garter Snake cost? I was donated a male about 5 months ago. I want to buy 1 more, preferably female, but it does'nt matter to me.

But I am looking for someoen that doesnt want a freaking hundred dollars for it. I am only a teenager, I can't really afford it. But I have such a passion for these snakes, its unbeleivable!

But if you know where I can get one, you'll have no idea how much it means to me. Thank you all so much!

-Michael
  Contact User Check User
Old 09-05-2004, 01:27 PM   #2
EriksReptiles
garter snakes.

You should get a job around your neighbor-hood! THats what I do and I am the same age as you. Just like mow lawns or other kind of yard work! Thats what I had to do but I dont anymore because I live off my reptiles babys! Just post some flyers up! ERIk

Old 09-05-2004, 01:52 PM   #3
wildthing642
Re: garter snakes.

Quote:
Originally posted by slitherstuderik
You should get a job around your neighbor-hood! THats what I do and I am the same age as you. Just like mow lawns or other kind of yard work! Thats what I had to do but I dont anymore because I live off my reptiles babys! Just post some flyers up! ERIk
Theres not really any job opprotunities up here, even for mowing lawns.
  Contact User Check User
Old 09-05-2004, 02:15 PM   #4
EriksReptiles
jobs.

Well if there are no jobs how are you going to buy cages and food and what they need? Also there are jobs everywhere you just have to look around and you WILL find them! ERIk

Old 09-05-2004, 02:19 PM   #5
wildthing642
I have pleanty of money put away for food. I already have 3 full cages available and ready for some snakes. I do get $40 a month. Tht would be more than enough for food. And obviosuly you hav'nt been to Ukiah California. There is aboslutely no jobs available. Not even at McDonalds!
  Contact User Check User
Old 09-05-2004, 02:52 PM   #6
EriksReptiles
ok.

If I were you I would just save up the 40$ until you have enough money. I am not trying to be mean but if you really want it then pay for it your self dont try to get it for a cheaper price because if you have to pay for it all by your self you will appreciate it a TON more then if you get it for a cheaper price! And there HAS to be some jobs or even doing stuff for your parents to get money, If there were NO jobs no-one would live there because you need money to live places!!! ERIk

Old 09-06-2004, 12:53 PM   #7
rlhallman
Red-Sided Garter

I believe you live within the natural range of these garters. If I remember correctly you can legally collect one though you might need a fishing license. I also remember it being illegal in California to sell or purchase indigenous species. You may want to check the laws thoroughly before doing anything. You should be able to pull up the California Department of Fish & Game regulations on the internet. You may also get the phone number for the closest office to you and talk to an agent in person if you any specific questions. Sometimes the regulations can be a bit confusing to interpret.

Another thing to keep in mind if you are planning to breed them. It is against the law to release captive bred animals into the wild and it is also unlawful for you to sell them. So you would be stuck with all the babies. I would suggest trying to get a pair from a species not found in California. I know California does provide breeding permits for California Kings, Gophers, and Rosy Boas because they are so much a staple of the pet trade, but I am not sure about Red-Sided garters.

Old 09-06-2004, 01:19 PM   #8
wildthing642
Hello!

I am sure our native species is the CA Red-Sided. But the weird thing is, the one i've foudn at least, does'nt reall ylook like CA Red-Sideds I see on the internet. They have the black sides, with red dots, and a yellow stripe and half olive/half red head.

The ones I normallly see have red sides with black dots, pure wite stripes, and pure white heads. I am looking for one of those mainly. Do you have any kind of instant messenger by the way?
  Contact User Check User
Old 09-06-2004, 01:46 PM   #9
rlhallman
I remember your snake from previous postings as being a Calif Red-Sided. They do vary a bit in the amount of red vs. black on the sides. I have one with a dark black and a deep red patter, and the stripe has a greenish hue to it. Even if you did purchase one (again this is probably against the law where you are) it would be the better part of a $100.00 on up to $150.00 or more. I have seen them go for well over $200.00. The reason for the high price is probably because is illegal to sell them from their native range so only a handful of breeders consistently acquire and work with them, and there is an adequate market for those that are produced. Common Red-Sided, Checkered, Plains, Easterns etc are all more commonly available and usually cheaper unless they are albinos or some other morph.

Another thing to keep in mind if you are planning to breed them is the problems that can arise. Are you going to be able to handle shipping with its special reqirments? Is there going to be an adequate out of state market for your animals? I have a pair of Florida Blue Garters that I will probably refrain from breeding just because of these problems. I have not descided yet.

Old 10-30-2004, 01:10 AM   #10
cinnamon_brown
Hey Mike.....

This is a fine enough job for you !!!! Why don't people keep their opinions to them sleves. I hope you remember me. I'm the noe looking for a baby garter but a little skeptical on ordering online.....I already got ripped on my money when I purchased a ribbon snake.....nothing like the garter we had, this thing was nuts man !!! I took it back and got an instore credit........So i'm still searching. I've been warned not to order on line from the Reptile and something society.......I already had an illegal pet, so really i don't care what they say, but my concern is not being ripped off. I'm sure you can understand my anxiety...... Have you shipped to Canada before ? E mail me ok?
Coni
grprix81@shaw.ca

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread