Dreams CAN come true... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
Southern Wolf
Dreams CAN come true...

Providing you do what it takes to achieve them.

Dad got me started in photography back when I was around 13 and I have always loved wolves. So at a young age I had a dream of photographing wolves (that were not in a zoo). Fast forward 22 years and I was able to make that dream a reality.

This past March I had the opportunity to make this dream come true and I decided that it didnt matter what it cost.... I was going to figure out a way to do it. I had this opportunity presented to me in December so I only had less than 3 months to come up with the funds. Unfortunately I was only able to come up with about half in cash so I ended up having to go deeper in debt... but it was well worth it.

I love my snakes (and lord knows I spent way tooo much money on them), but I can honestly say the 2k I spent on the trip was more meaningful to me than any amount I spend on my snakes.

I shoot with a Nikon D80 and I always shoot 100% manual....however on this trip I had to switch over to auto and just focus manually.... I was so in awe of those majestic animals that I kept forgetting to keep an eye on my exposure.

You can not image how I felt when I got to hear them howl... I actually had to sit down for a few minutes. I just barely had any signal on my phone and I called a real close friend of mine (that knew I was going) and asked her if she could hear them over the phone. Luckly she was able to and I got to share that moment with her.

For me the trip lasted a week, but I only got to spend 2.5 days with the wolves.

Enough of me babbling on... now time for some photography. All images were taken with a Nikon D80 and a Sigma 50/500mm telephoto. Some of the images from the trip I also added either a 1.4x or 2x ... and sometimes both to the 500mm. With both that pushes me up to 1400mm.

This one I am having printed by my lab at 20x30 and will be hanging in my living room

Sometimes it amazes me by what you can acomplish by changing positions. For this image I was laying on my stomach instead of crouching down. This one is hanging at my parents house and was printed at 16x20.

One of my favorite shots... notice he is still keeping watch

I have titled this one... "Someone to watch over me" for obvious reasons

This one has been printed as a 16x20 and is hanging in my bedroom

If you happen to be a bit squeemish.... dont look!

The Beta was challenging the Alpha at feeding time... and the Alpha wasnt having any of it.

Thanks for looking... and thanks for letting me share. More photos can be posted per request.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:51 PM   #2
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
beautiful!

Old 11-01-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
Mooing Tricycle
Oh. wow.

I would love to someday see wolves like this. So impressive. Thank you for sharing these, so majestic and powerful, just... pure, wild beauty.

Thank you, truly, for sharing these with us.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:32 PM   #4
deborahbroadus
Gorgeous wild animals. Truely spectacular! Thanks for sharing and congrats on achieving your dream!

Old 11-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #5
Southern Wolf
Thanks to all the compliments.

I still have several images left to process (during the week long trip I took around 6000 images).... but I do have these done as well.

You will notice that all the images are taken from a lower perspective. I was either sitting back on my knees or laying on my stomach.

A very light Timber Wolf

The normal coloration

I had to crop this photo to get the shot I wanted... but at 10mp its easy enough to do You can even see the water drops

I had a co-worker the loved the wolves as much as me.... and when I was showing off some of my images she fell in love with this image.... so I made a graphic out of it with a border and text.... printed it up as an 11x14 and presented it to her at her going away party. I was a bit surprised cause she actually teared up a bit.

This old man had probably seen alot in his life... he was old and gray and his ears were mangled a bit.... probably from combat with other wolves.

In all my years of photography... one valuable lesson I have learned. The smaller you are... the less of a threat you present.... Ie... if you are on your belly... you are more likely to get closer than if you are walking. It shows with these next images.

This one was cropped from the original.... but I got the portrait I really wanted.... even if I couldnt get close enough to do it without cropping.

Thanks for looking. Once I get all the images processed... I will prob end up having a coffee table book made up.... and I dont even have a coffee table LOL

Old 11-01-2008, 06:30 PM   #6
Miss Tuniwha
WONDERFUL!!!

Wolf is my animal guide.. and my native name is Wolf Crier..

yeah.. wolves have a warm spot in my heart :P

Old 11-01-2008, 06:56 PM   #7
johns6068
Awesome Pictures Thank-you for sharing

Old 11-01-2008, 07:34 PM   #8
Bill Stonegate
Great shots, Kevin. That adventure must have been thrilling.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:05 PM   #9
LakesideBoas
No matter what else happens in your life, you'll always remember that trip.

Your photography makes it even better. I would be proud to hang any of those on my wall.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:22 PM   #10
wyldwurm
Wow! Unbelievable shots! Thanks for sharing these and congrats on living your dream!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!