New snake owner. Florida King? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
canoworms
New snake owner. Florida King?

Hi, I am a new to the world of owning a snake and loving it. I was told my new friend is a florida king but I cant find any pics of floridas that resemble him/her, some desert king photos I found resemble it but I read that they have a black belly and my pal has a white belly. Can someone help me with proper identification and some suggestions for good info on the web and a good book on kings to possibly purchase.
I am getting varying information on feeding and care. I currently am feeding it a pinkie every 2 days, I have a heating mat and the temp is between 76-80. Should I also use a basking lamp?
Any other suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated!

Jay

Old 04-13-2010, 12:45 AM   #2
evilcowboy420
The snake looks to me to be a Florida King but there are varying patterns to the Florida king. Could be crossed with a Florida and Eastern king. The temp is good for that snake they are pretty easy to take care of. I wouldn't add a basking lamp as they can get pretty hot and the snake will shed in an incomplete piece because basking bulbs suck the humidity out of the air in the tank.

For feeding a pinkie every 2 days seems too much to me. I would feed 2 pinkies or 1 hopper mouse once a week. Sticking to a once a week schedule is usually a good rule of thumb when it comes to snakes. He looks big enough to down a small hopper. But either kill it or buy it frozen as live can take a good bite out of your snake.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
JETZEN
Quote:
Originally Posted by canoworms View Post
Hi, I am a new to the world of owning a snake and loving it. I was told my new friend is a florida king but I cant find any pics of floridas that resemble him/her, some desert king photos I found resemble it but I read that they have a black belly and my pal has a white belly. Can someone help me with proper identification and some suggestions for good info on the web and a good book on kings to possibly purchase.
I am getting varying information on feeding and care. I currently am feeding it a pinkie every 2 days, I have a heating mat and the temp is between 76-80. Should I also use a basking lamp?
Any other suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated!

Jay
it looks like a variation of cali-X-fla and a nice specimen too

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!