Some bamboo pics - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Flora > Flora General Discussions

Notices

Flora General Discussions This will cover anything and everything you all wish to discuss about plants.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:02 PM   #1
WebSlave
Some bamboo pics

Connie and I took a walk the other day and I had my Panasonic Lumix with me. Took some pics of a couple of the bamboo groves.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:08 PM   #2
Robert Walker
Very cool Rich... makes me even more jealous of Florida. Nebraska seems so blah right now compared to that.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:31 PM   #3
WebSlave
Most of the Phyllostachys species would probably do OK in your area.

http://www.bamboogarden.com/cold%20hardy%20bamboo.html

It's actually tougher to get them to thrive in very warm climates than the more temperate areas. These are considered as "running" bamboos, instead of the more tropical "clumping" types.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:30 AM   #4
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Most of the Phyllostachys species would probably do OK in your area.

http://www.bamboogarden.com/cold%20hardy%20bamboo.html

It's actually tougher to get them to thrive in very warm climates than the more temperate areas. These are considered as "running" bamboos, instead of the more tropical "clumping" types.
Wow! I totally assumed wrong apparently, very cool. Thanks! Another thing to add to my spring list!

Old 02-08-2017, 07:52 AM   #5
E.Shell
Cool pics, BIG bamboo.

I had three much smaller varieties I had dug up here and there and transplanted to my Maryland house to plant between the house and Amtrak. Did a very good job of noise absorption and privacy screening.

They poisoned it several times, as they routinely poison encroaching vegetation along the rail right-of-way. Some died off, some was just stunted badly, and some of it actually seemed at least partially resistant.

Love to see an environmental impact statement on that herbicide the feds use on the railroad, it scorches almost everything with a day or two of being hit...

Old 02-08-2017, 08:14 AM   #6
Casey Hulse
That is awesome. How old are some of the larger ones? Do they have any commercial value? I'd love to have a few of them for crafts etc...

Old 02-08-2017, 11:57 AM   #7
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Walker View Post
Wow! I totally assumed wrong apparently, very cool. Thanks! Another thing to add to my spring list!
Actually February is the preferred time to transplant running bamboo. You want to do that while they are dormant. Which is right now. You have to get a section of the rhizome. I have no idea how you would transplant a very large one, since you need at least part of the culm (shoot) with some leafed branches on it. I guess you need to just find a small culm, since what I got was like that. Keep the rhizome moist at all times while transplanting. Water frequently the first year.

I'm sure there are much better transplanting guides online....

Old 02-08-2017, 12:27 PM   #8
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Hulse View Post
That is awesome. How old are some of the larger ones? Do they have any commercial value? I'd love to have a few of them for crafts etc...
Bamboo puts out shoots every year and they grow to full size that season. It's rather impressive watching these shoots grow by checking on them every day. During shooting season, Connie and I will do a "bamboo walk" about every day. They don't get any larger with time once they finish growing that one season, but it takes several years for the new season's shoots (culms) to start reaching full size.

Bamboo is used in a lot of commercial application in the orient where it is more plentiful. We are seeing more and more of it used here in the USA in the recent past, with bamboo flooring, bamboo sheets, furniture, etc. One of these days I might even get ambitious and sell sections of it, since they would make great hides for terrariums and the like. Matter of fact, looks like some birds have created nesting cavities in some of the bamboo, and I'm sure lizards and tree frogs will hole up in the old split bamboo.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:35 PM   #9
WebSlave
Took a pic of the white bamboo we are growing....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!