Albino Behavior - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-03-2006, 12:40 PM   #1
ZenReptiles
Albino Behavior

I have heard somethings on this topic, but I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts.

Basically, I have 2 albinos, one is a tremper and the other is a bell that I got about a month ago. Out of all my geckos, the 2 albinos are the ones I have to be extra careful with when handling, especially the bell. They get vicious. Is that the case with all albinos? My tremper is good, but on occasion will try to bite me. My bell will not even let me change her water without diving for my hand. My fiance looked in her tank this morning and she charged at the glass. She's very pretty, but has such an attitude.

Old 04-03-2006, 01:03 PM   #2
mhwc56
I don't know if the Giant breeding that is in my Albinos makes any difference but I have 2 Trempers that are just as sweet as can be.
When I first got them the larger one was a man eaterand would even attack a shadow.I think she was just scared.After about 4 -6 weeks she settled in and stopped with the attitude.
The other Albino,right from the start would let me do anything with her at all. I could probably hang her upside down by her tail and only get a "what?" kind of look from her ! LOL.
Maybe yours are just frightened by their new surroundings and will acclimate within the next few weeks?

Old 04-03-2006, 01:11 PM   #3
Jeremy Letkey
I work with all three albino strains and have seen no difference in their temperaments.

Old 04-03-2006, 01:26 PM   #4
Gregg M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Letkey
I work with all three albino strains and have seen no difference in their temperaments.
I would have to agree here..... I will also like to add that temperments are based on an individual basis and not so much on the morph.... Some say blizzards are nippy but I have yet to see a nasty one....

Old 04-03-2006, 01:56 PM   #5
Golden Gate Geckos
Quote:
temperments are based on an individual basis and not so much on the morph
I tend to agree with this, too. Although I don't have any Bell line albinos, I believe each gecko has it's own distinct character and disposition regardless of morph.

Old 04-03-2006, 03:20 PM   #6
bro paul
Kate - I think I may know the gecko in question ...if I'm right, then rest assured that she's not a meanie...at least not by birth. If it is the girl I sent you, email me sometime and I can give you a few pointers. Like others have said, it can take some time for them to get used to a new environment. I've yet to come across a nasty leopard gecko that didn't calm down with time.

Old 04-03-2006, 04:20 PM   #7
ZenReptiles
Yup, it's that one. I'll give her some more time. I had just was curious because my other adult albino is kinda the same way. The other one I got from you has calmed down nicely though. The albino is still really pretty. I'll just keep handling her and that should do the trick.

Old 04-03-2006, 05:51 PM   #8
BalloonzForU
The only difference in attitude I've noticed with albinos (I have all three) are they are little more jumpy, but not meanies. I believe them being jumpy has to do with their sensitivity to light and not seeing well when I am handling them to check their weight length, over all health, in a lit room. They are calmer in a very dim lit room when handled.

Old 04-03-2006, 07:13 PM   #9
Th3HiddenGecko
I have an albino that tends to eat better in dimmer lighting. Is this true with others?

Old 04-03-2006, 08:28 PM   #10
LeosForLess
I'm doing a project on albinism in biology. Let me tel you, i would not want to be albino,LOL. Most albino people cant drive, or look outside without this special device. On a sunny day, SPF 20, loll luckily geckos dint get sun burnt in my basement. My project is on genetic defects, so i guess that albinos could be jumpier because their eyeseight is changed so much. you can look at www.albinism.com

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!