Reptile owners - Stay away from Mooresville, NC - Page 18 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:47 AM   #171
SnakeLadyK
Thank you.
Well, I have a little bit of good news! Theres a young man here that I've gotten the privledge to get to know that has such a passion for these animals. He wants to carry on the vision we had for a rescue and education center. Without being able to find work and get "solid" here, we've just kind of been blowing in the windstorm when we get hit with opposition, but he's lived here for many years and is established here, so he has a good foundation to build off of. Theres such a huge need for support here and I'm sure he'll be able to make a great impact. We'll be staying in touch with him and helping in any way we can. I'm really looking forward to seeing the direction Shane will be taking this. He's a wonderful young man with such a good heart.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:54 AM   #172
paulWTAMU
Quote:
Why in the world would ANYONE want to give up their freedom of choice to leave in an area that someone can dictate what you do to YOUR house. I can see it if your living in an appartment. But if you are buying your house.... you.... its my house and I'll do with it as I see fit.
sometimes major chunks of a city are taken up by HOAs. My folks couldn't find any place within 50 miles of dad's work without one that wasn't a total slum.

Thankfully dad's with a higher up with a major pipeline company and deals with laws and regulations for a living and has for 20+ years. Some damn busy body retired mechanic didn't stand a chance (the laws aren't the same but, still, general exposure/experience helps).

Old 12-29-2010, 12:22 PM   #173
Pmsayi
I just read this thread and was disgusted by the treatment you received. While I do not care to comment on state or county ordinances I would like to offer some advice on dealing with HOA's. There are ways to nullify them but they require alot of work, time, and legal fee's. Most states require HOA's to keep a minimum funds reserve in order to be legit. Many HOA's do not keep that balance where it is required to be legally. If you can get the financial information (they legally must provide this to you if you are subject to their rules) and prove they are below the legal threshold it nullifies their authority. Many HOA's also fail to include a key phrase in the rules, regulations, and by-laws which if any of the stipulations are found to be unenforceable voids the entire "contract". Usually when dealing with HOA's once you involve a lawyer (preferably a high powered one) they back down very quickly. It seems that the thought of the cost of a legal battle, bad press, and accusations of constitutional rights violations is not very appealing to them. I can't emphasize enough though that you need to get an attorney to be successful against them. Very few people are successful challenging HOA's without one.

As far as businesses go the IRS does not recognize hobby businesses. Unless you are producing and selling enough stock to meet the minimum additional income declaration of $500 after expenses you are not required to register as a business or report it as additional income. If you do report the income you need to be registered as a business in order to get the deductions. Deductions include: electricity, bedding, water, heating elements, cleaning agents, websites fees, vendor fees, insurance, local taxes paid, transportation costs, vet fees, percentage of home dedicated to business, phone charges, acquisition of new breeding stock, shipping supplies, feeders, business license fees, legal fees, accounting fees, permit fees, anti-venom, and so on. You need to check with your state to find out if the animals are taxed as property but in most cases they are not. Any equipment you declare is taxable as property. Most businesses do not declare every piece of equipment but rather only the large pieces. Equipment must be depreciated as it ages for tax purposes and right off purposes.

I know of very few private hobbyist that generate enough income to bother with the paperwork involved in running a business. Most state and local offices do not consider it worth the effort and cost to enforce business licenses on an individual breeding a few snakes or lizards. However, if you are selling $2500 pet snakes then you had better set up properly, but if the majority of what you do is a handful of colubrid or python clutches or even a litter or two of boas a year you will probably be alright calling it a hobby and leaving well enough alone. Of course if in doubt talk to your tax adviser and lawyer and follow their recommendation. I can tell you I maintain and breed a small colony of snakes (under 50 adults colubrids and boids) and my accountant, after reviewing costs incurred, informed me that if I ran it as a business it would show a loss every year based on what I produce sold at market value and what my expenses are with what would be the additional added expense of costs associated with running a business (in other words the eligible deductions). As it stands currently the hobby is self supporting, in other words; it breaks even or shows a slight profit depending on the year.

The benefit in taxable goods (sales tax on supplies) created by hobby businesses far outweighs the taxes that might be collected on said businesses which is why most municipalities do not force the issue. I have had no problems with showing my animals to people and have known both the game warden and head of animal control for years. The best thing you can do is get to know those who are charged with enforcing the laws and try to work with them. Then if you have a problem they are more willing to help you deal with it appropriately without your jumping through hoops. Hiding the animals as some one else suggested only leads to the conception you are doing something you are not supposed to do or have something you legally should not. The best policy is to be open and patient with people while trying to educate (not lecture) them about the animals themselves. I hope some of this is useful and wish snakelady the best in her future endeavors.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:07 AM   #174
Prime
I must say i completely and utterly despise HOAs I'm paying for this fucking house mind your own damn business... sorry this post just got to me. You are stronger than me I would of burned that bitches house down. Stay strong and keep fighting.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:20 PM   #175
TBrouse
K has been under the weather for a while now, but I'll be sure to let her know shes still in everyone's thoughts.
Since we've returned to FL, Animal Control has been by, not to follow up on any bogus calls, but because they had heard we were back in the area and had a Prairie Dog that was caught and needed care.
AND we are living in a deed restricted community, run by an HOA. The same one we lived in for 5 years previous to our move, as a matter of fact.
We miss our grandsons like crazy, but its good to be back where we aren't victims to the power trips of arrogant jackasses with too much time on their hands.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:41 PM   #176
Southern Wolf
Hopefully K will get better soon and its good you're back to someplace that you dont have to put up with the BS.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:20 PM   #177
SamanthaJane13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrouse View Post
K has been under the weather for a while now, but I'll be sure to let her know shes still in everyone's thoughts.
Since we've returned to FL, Animal Control has been by, not to follow up on any bogus calls, but because they had heard we were back in the area and had a Prairie Dog that was caught and needed care.
AND we are living in a deed restricted community, run by an HOA. The same one we lived in for 5 years previous to our move, as a matter of fact.
We miss our grandsons like crazy, but its good to be back where we aren't victims to the power trips of arrogant jackasses with too much time on their hands.
Give her our love and let her know that your family and critters are in our prayers!!

Old 02-27-2011, 08:56 AM   #178
TBrouse
I'll do that, Donna. Same to you and your daughter!
Thanks, Kevin.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!