Genetics question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-28-2006, 05:55 PM   #1
thebrandonisgood
Genetics question

I tried some googling but didn't come up with much. What should I expect from a clutch from a white sided female and a hypo/albino male? I don't think they are het for anything else.

Old 07-31-2006, 05:26 PM   #2
John Cherry
ok

Brandon,

it really depends on what line of white sided and albino bulls you have. If they are trumbower line animals then it is very possible the white sided and/or the albino has some hidden traits in the genetic make up. When craig was trying to produce the first snow bull a number of years ago, his line of white sided bulls were produced out of a clutch that contained a normal, an albino, an axthanic and a hypo with blue/white eye lids. I think I still have a pic of that clutch if you want to email me I will send you a copy.

So it will be interesting to see what you come up with. If I was to guess you will probally get some normal white sided, some hypo white sided and possibly an albino white sided if they are out of his line.

Sorry I could not give you a straight answer.

John Cherry
Cherryville Farms

Old 08-01-2006, 06:19 PM   #3
thebrandonisgood
Unfortunately I'm not sure on the background of the white sided female. I bought her from a guy in Arlington at a trade show who bought the father from a petshop. It then mated unexpectidly with a female bull he was caged with. Some of their clutch were white sided and some were normal. If I understand correctly white sided is a recessive trait so wouldn't the female he mated with have be het to produce white sided babies? In that case maybe he bought the pair together and they were from the same clutch. Seeing the father at the trade show is what convinced me to buy mine. I never had any interested in white sides until I saw a full grown male with the beautiful huge white belly and sides. The albino father of the clutch mine just laid I got from Shannon Brown. I don't think he is het for anything else special, although maybe I should email her to make sure. Thanks for your response though! I'll post pictures of the babies when they hatch. Should be in September.

Old 08-21-2006, 09:18 PM   #4
Stephen30
Babies for sale ??????

Will you have any of your Bull snakes for sale when they hatch ? If so, could you give me some prices for diferent ones. I might be interested.
Thanks, Stephen

Old 08-22-2006, 03:40 PM   #5
thebrandonisgood
Yeah I'll have to sell most of them. I'm running out of room! They were an unexpected clutch. I might have to sell my adult pair of gophers (the male is a big albino applegate) to make room for these guys. I'll give you some price quotes once they hatch so I can see what comes out. If they are all just normal-hets will you still be interested? I'll probably sell them for less then most breeders since I'm more interested in finding them a home.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:19 PM   #6
Stephen30
Hey Brandon,
yes I would be interested in them. One or two, possibly. I've never had a Bull before and have been wanting to get one. I will need to move a couple of snakes myself, before I can get these guys. What are there parents like in terms of size and disposition? What would be the approiate size mouse for these hatchlings?

Thanks for the reply, can't wait to see what they look like !!

Stephen Howard

Old 08-22-2006, 10:54 PM   #7
thebrandonisgood
The parents haven't reached full size yet. The father is only 5 feet long but he's only two. His parents were seven feet when he was concieved so I'm sure in a few years he'll be there too. The mother is not quite as big (yet) but her parents were very robusk. Their dispositions are excellent. Neither has bitten me, even when I had to wrestle a mouse away from the male because he was being bitten - after that I switched to prekilled food! The babies will be eating fuzzy to hopper size mice, most likely hoppers. I will probably keep them around for a month or so to make sure they are healthy and eating. I think that's standard.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!