Red Pastel Hypo Female..anyone heard of one? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-10-2007, 02:20 AM   #1
klsl
Red Pastel Hypo Female..anyone heard of one?

Has anyone seen or heard of this color boa? I recently purchased a boa and the papers said "Red Pastel Hypo Boa". They also said this line originated from Jeff Gee. It's a mixture of "something." Not being a breeder and the guy I got it from is not a breeder, can someone explain what was bred to what to get this color? It's a beautiful snake! Only 6 months old. Thanks!

Old 01-10-2007, 06:23 AM   #2
ericfire
Talking

a pastel ,in boas is just a case of selective breeding but a hypo is a co-dominant morph ,meaning its in the genes
so when someone breeds boas to have low speckling and not that much black this is a term people are using called pastel
so someone could breed a hypo morph to the pastel and get a hypo with an even lighter cleaner look
so yes is the answer
you can have a pastel hypo
but it isnt two separate morph like it is made to sound like
hope this helps
Eric Naylor

Old 01-10-2007, 07:27 AM   #3
crotalusadamanteus
Like Eric said, Pastels are selectively bred for their clean, high color and reduced patterns. They were originally just plain 'ol Colombians, but have been added to others now in hopes of passing that on.

The Hypo's (or Salmons anyway) were produced originally from a Colombian, and Panamanian boa, and is a trait you can actually predict, and plan upon. But I believe it is a Dominant trait, not Codominant. If it was codominant, the super form wouldn't be sold as possibles, because you would see the difference immediately.
I used to think along the codominant theory also, but have since been, ah, re-educated on the subject. LOL

But yes, I have heard of the snake you are purchasing. They do exist, and are a nice looking snake in most cases.

Rick

Old 01-10-2007, 09:31 AM   #4
Biscuit71
I was always under the impression that salmons/hypos were a co-dom mainly because when you breed to a normal, you get normal, and you get salmon/hypo... Hence, the co-dom. If you breed 2 salmons/hypos, you will get normals, salmons, and possibly super salmons/hypos.... If you breed a super form of salmon to a normal, you should get all salmon, hence, the super... I think the reason the super form is sold alot as a "possible" because some salmons/hypos are so clean to begin with it is a gamble to go out on a limb and say that it is in fact a super when it could just be a very clean salmon/hypo.... This is my understanding on this genetics thing... I am not even close to understanding it all, so please feel free to fill me in.... What have you seen that would convince you that a salmon is a dominant rather than a co-dom? I am very interested in finding out more mainly because that is what I am working with at the moment... thanks...

Old 01-10-2007, 04:23 PM   #5
M.Dwight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit71
I am not even close to understanding it all, so please feel free to fill me in.... What have you seen that would convince you that a salmon is a dominant rather than a co-dom?
I'd like to know too Rick. Can you help us out please.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:40 PM   #6
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Dwight
I'd like to know too Rick. Can you help us out please.
That one goes on the calendar Mark.

OK, lets see if I learned anything here. (Can't blame it on HS, that was 23 years ago )

First understand that Dominant, Codominant and Recessive are describing a relationship between a gene pair at any given locus on a chromosome.

A Salmon hypo is what you would call a visual Het. Meaning, its trait, being Dominant to WT will show up if present, but it is also Het for WT. (Het just means the genes are not identicle, but different at that given allele, or locus. Hetero means different) So a Salmon is a Heterozygote. It can pass on a WT, or a Salmon gene. Same with a Salmon to Salmon. They both have a WT gene that they also can pass on. Luck of the draw which gets passed on to who. LOL

A super Salmon, (I prefer Double Dose cuz of the term Super being used for Codominat genes) is a Homozygous Salmon. It's not going to have a WT gene to pass on, but two identicle Salmon genes (Homo means the same). So when you breed a Homozygous salmon to a WT, ALL offspring receive a Salmon gene, since the parent has two of them to pass, and no WT gene.
That should answer why you get normals when bred to a Salmon, and not when bred to a Homozygous (Super) Salmon.

With a Codominant gene, you will always have the possibility of a third phenotype. Example, if you bred a motley to a WT, you get some WT and some motleys. Why?, Motleys are Heterzygotes also. If you bred two motleys you get WT, and motleys, and Super Motleys, because they are Het for WT also. And anyone, experienced or not, can see three different phenotypes (outward appearance). And the same rule apply's to a Super Motley. It's Homozygous, so it has identicle alleles, and must pass one on. So you get all Motleys when Super is bred to WT.

You can see an obvious difference between Motleys and Super Motleys right? This is a proven Codominant trait. And fits the definition of Codominant as well.
With a Salmon, you do not SEE the difference between the homozygous and heterozygous forms (it MUST be obvious, or drastic difference), or else they would not be sold as possibly super. So by definition, it cannot be a Codominant mutation.

There are also different degrees of Dominant I believe. I forget the actual word to describe a Salmon gene, but it's variable, and affects not just color but patterns as well.

Forgive My layman's explanation, but that's just me. It'd take me three hours if I tried to get all geeky like. LOL

Don't know if I passed or not, but that's what's coming out of my mind right now. We'll have to see what the Professor says. HA HA HA

How 'bout it Mark? Did I get it right? (BTW, Mr. M. Dwight knows this stuff pretty well. But he don't fool me none )

Rick

Old 01-10-2007, 07:10 PM   #7
crotalusadamanteus
A couple links for those who are interested
TLC Genetics 101
Serpwidgets
Boa Genetics

Old 01-10-2007, 07:38 PM   #8
ericfire
so what your saying is that a supersalmon is just a homozygous but not a codominant mutant gene?
even though the supersalmon gene is a dominant gene?
and a salmon that doesnt produce all salmons in a litter would be a codominant with both normal and salmon dominant genes
wow
now i need to go put my head in some ice to cool it down
lol

Eric

Old 01-10-2007, 07:57 PM   #9
M.Dwight
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus
But he don't fool me none )
Rick
he he he. I already knew that.

Looks to me like you understand better than me. I pass the genetics torch to you. From now on you can explain it.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:21 PM   #10
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericfire
so what your saying is that a supersalmon is just a homozygous but not a codominant mutant gene?
even though the supersalmon gene is a dominant gene?
and a salmon that doesnt produce all salmons in a litter would be a codominant with both normal and salmon dominant genes
wow
now i need to go put my head in some ice to cool it down
lol

Eric
Nope! It aint that hard though.
The gene of a Salmon acts Dominant to WT. If it is present it will express it's self. Whether it has one or two salmon genes (hetero or homo) it will still just look like a salmon. No real outward difference. This makes it a Dominant trait, and NOT codominant at all.

A motley gene is also Dominant to WT. (still a form of dominance) If it is present it will express it's self . Whether it has one or two Motley genes (Hetero or Homo) But if it has two genes, it's Super (Homo), it will look vastly different than the Motley (hetero). This makes it Codominant.

In order for a gene to be Codominant, it must be able to produce three different phenotypes. You can SEE the difference in Motley (hetero) and Super Motley (Homo). You cannot tell by appearance a Salmon (hetero) from a Super Salmon (homo). So this makes Salmons a Dominant trait.

See what happens when the teacher makes the student stand up in front of the class?

Hope that didn't confuse you even more.
Rick

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!