Fresno CA Rattlesnake?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-06-2018, 12:49 AM   #1
FrozenBlood
Fresno CA Rattlesnake??

Not sure if this snake is a rattlesnake or not I live in Fresno Ca if any one knows more on this snake please send it my way

Attachment 1
Name:  IMG_0950.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  444.6 KB
Name:  IMG_0948.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  466.6 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2018, 01:44 AM   #2
FrozenBlood
It’s a Northern Pacific rattlesnake “ Crotalus oreganus “

Old 05-06-2018, 02:51 PM   #3
hotlips
And more specifically, a young (or "neonate") Northern Pacific rattlesnake. I think what confused you is the lack of a rattle? What you are seeing is what is called the 'button'- the beginning of the rattle that each rattlesnake is born with. Thereafter, they add a segment every time they shed, so that the rattle becomes longer (& louder) until such time as it may break off. Their rattle is made of keratin, just like our fingernails, and similarly, you cannot tell the age of a person or a rattlesnake that way. What you can tell is how many times the rattlesnake has shed since it was live-born...so you know this guy is a baby. Still deadly venom though, so please be careful & do not handle him! He's a valuable part of nature & I hope you let him go in a safe area, away from people.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:13 PM   #4
elena
He's super cute. I hope he gets to grow up.

Old 05-06-2018, 04:23 PM   #5
hotlips
Thanks elena, I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one that finds him cute!

Old 05-08-2018, 12:10 AM   #6
FrozenBlood
Yes as soon as I found out she was a rattlesnake she went straight back where I found her lol I have snakes myself but nothing venomous

Old 05-08-2018, 12:46 AM   #7
hotlips
Awesome! thank you! I'm a former So. Californian that for many years rescued & re-located rattlesnakes to keep people from killing them and getting themselves hurt in the process. I kept some (not releasable ones) for 20 safe years and did my best to educate the locals...I'm terribly fond of all buzz-babies, truth be told. But I only keep some harmless snakes these days, mostly rat snakes. Most folks truly don't need the risk of hots in their homes, lol. Ya really have to stay focused & plan every move.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!