Serious Health Concerns - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-16-2005, 12:39 AM   #1
xlb57
Serious Health Concerns

Hello everyone, while I know there have been posts about health concerns w/leos in the past and I do plan on bringing my male albino in as soon as possible (probably Thurs.) I am very concerned with this sudden onset of what appears to be a serious health issue. First a quick background summary of the leo:
He is about 8 mos. old, weighing 50 grams or so. I recently (about 1mo. ago) moved him into a 10 gal. aquarium to separate him from another that he had grown with, which is a female. The temps. in his new aquarium are between 88-90 during the day and upper 70s-80 at night. Up until about three days ago, he has always been very active (naturally moreso at night). I noticed immediately that there was a night that he had not come out of his moist hide. I found this to be strange but didn't think anything too serious. Yesterday (Monday) however, after I had gotten home f/ school and work, I noticed that there was a large fecal dropping as well as a dark stain-like substance near it. Upon seeing this I grew obviously more concerned and started researching where I can take him (I think I have found a good place). Today however I was extremely alarmed to witness him crawl out of his moist hide (VERY sluggishly) and begin opening his mouth repeatedly. He then began shaking his head violently at which point he vomitted out what appeared to be a large chunk of skin. Since that point, he has been VERY lethargic and moving takes much noticeable effort on his part.
I'm sorry for the long post but I wanted to fill you all in on the details. Has anyone heard of these symptoms indicating any certain issue? What should I do until the vet visit?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've had a couple leos for nearly 7 yrs. now and have never run into anything quite like this. Thanks.

Concerned,
Jon

Old 02-16-2005, 01:00 AM   #2
TheHypoGecko
If his fecals are starting to look strange and you noticed that he's acting strange, then taking him to the vet would be a good idea. As for the head shaking part, that's normal, as long as it was just shed skin that he was spitting up. I've seen a couple of my geckos do the same thing after eating their shed skin. Sometimes they digest it, but other times they spit it out like you saw your male do.

Old 02-16-2005, 01:08 AM   #3
xlb57
I guess what I am seriously concerned about is the fact that he's severely lethargic. It stinks because I can't get to a vet until Thursday and I am worried I might watch him die in the mean time. Ugg

Old 02-16-2005, 01:10 AM   #4
TheHypoGecko
Just keep an eye on him until you can get him to the vet. Hopefully he's okay though.

Old 02-16-2005, 01:24 AM   #5
xlb57
Is there anything I can do for him in the mean time?

Old 02-16-2005, 01:31 AM   #6
TheHypoGecko
Try not to stress him out. Don't handle him or put any crickets in his cage that might disturb him when he's trying to sleep.

Old 02-16-2005, 02:12 AM   #7
xlb57
Just saw him shaking his head w/his mouth open again, as though he's trying to vomit. Bah....what is wrong.

Old 02-16-2005, 09:20 AM   #8
Gregg M
There can be a number of things wrong..... He could have a parasite, he could be impacted or he might not be hot enough..... What type of heating are you using??? You cant do anything for him besides take him to a vet.....

Old 02-16-2005, 10:50 AM   #9
FreakOfNature66
aawww

Well, i dont know whats wrong with your leo but i hope the best of him and i hope hes ok. I'm sorry your going through this. Now Im gona get worried for my leopard gecko. Well, good luck at the vets office.

Old 02-16-2005, 08:54 PM   #10
xlb57
Bad news: I came home from school/work today and found him dead. It really bugs me and makes me a lot more sad than I thought I would be, to be quite honest. I spent a lot of time with this guy and then poof...he's dead. After taking him out of his aquarium and placing him in a large ziploc, I noticed that about midway down on his underside was a 1/3 penny sized dark circle. Any idea what this might be? I am going to speak with the vet tomorrow anyhow to see if they might have any ideas what it could have been (just one more day until the vet!) Well, thanks for the advice anyhow, now it's time for me to keep a close eye on my other leos. Even though all of them have been acting just fine. One thing I am wondering about (and kicking myself for if this is what caused his death) is that upon making a hide area for his cage, I used some rock adhesive glue and gave it a couple hours to dry. Looking back, that was probably not nearly enough time and he very well could have ingested fumes from the glue. I am very disappointed right now and am second guessing the things I did, thinking that maybe I ultimately caused his death. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks again for the support you've shown.

Upset,
Jon

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!