New perk for paid memberships - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 06-11-2020, 04:24 AM   #1
WebSlave
Exclamation New perk for paid memberships

A while back some coding was done to try to make this site a bit more mobile friendly, as a result of prodding from various quarters. At the same time, some changes were made in order to try out an optional dynamic method that Google Adsense uses to allocate space and sizing of the ads they display on the site pages. I was told by my programmer that this can make a noticeable change in revenue from Google, and was well worth implementing.

However, some people complained that the combination often produced less than satisfactory results, with the Adsense ads often feeling, well, burdensome and overpowering to the viewed pages. Personally I don't use a mobile device for my internet work myself, so I was rather oblivious to this issue. So, "out of sight, out of mind" sort of thing was at work here concerning my perspective of things.

After fielding some complaints, I asked my programmer what could be done about it, and we came up with the idea of disabling the Adsense ads for paying members and sponsors. This seemed like a reasonable compromise between ignoring the complaints completely, or disabling the new dynamic ads completely. So a week or so ago I asked him to implement this, and have been monitoring the Google Adsense stats to see what sort of impact that might have with the income resulting from those ads. There is a small impact, it seems, but I guess I am curious to see if the ability to avoid those more intrusive ads might incentivize members into becoming paying members. And if so, perhaps the increased paid memberships perhaps might offset any revenue loss caused by the above mentioned change.

So we shall see. For the time being, those Google Adsense ads are disabled for all paying members and sponsors, and unless there appears to be some drastic drop in revenue, we will run with that to see how it flies with the membership. This could flop badly with just a drop in Adsense revenue, and NO ONE thinking that a paid membership is worth getting this perk. Yes, I understand, no one really likes ANY ads, but the reality of it here is that they are necessary to keep this site afloat financially. But I can try to do the best I can to try to make them as painless as possible, whenever it seems feasible.

Oh, this does not affect the banner ads and such that I have running from my FaunaAds.com advertising front end. I felt that they have been running here for quite a long time, as is, and haven't really been much of a burden to anyone. Those will continue being displayed for all members and guests, without change. As will the classified ads placed within the classified forums, of course.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:21 AM   #2
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
After fielding some complaints, I asked my programmer what could be done about it, and we came up with the idea of disabling the Adsense ads for paying members and sponsors.
I'm a paying member of a few other forums where this is the case. It's worth the $25/year to not have that stuff cluttering up my computer & phone.

Old 07-09-2020, 05:07 PM   #3
IslandLizards
Awesome, much appreciated.

The mobile version was unusable due to ads.

Old 07-09-2020, 05:51 PM   #4
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLizards View Post

So is the mobile version worth keeping? Or are most people using the PC version anyway?

Old 07-09-2020, 06:11 PM   #5
Randall Turner
I've noticed a slight difference but tbh the ads weren't detrimental to my use of the site while on my phone (I usually use the site on my computer, but like to check in throughout the day on my phone).

Old 07-10-2020, 10:41 AM   #6
IslandLizards
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
So is the mobile version worth keeping? Or are most people using the PC version anyway?
I was using the mobile version prior, then the ads made it unusable really. Now instead of checking in a few times a day, I maybe check in a few times a week from my computer.

Having a usable mobile site is beneficial.

Old 07-10-2020, 12:35 PM   #7
WebSlave
Quote:
I was using the mobile version prior, then the ads made it unusable really. Now instead of checking in a few times a day, I maybe check in a few times a week from my computer.

Having a usable mobile site is beneficial.
Hmm, in an earlier post you made, I thought it meant that you felt that the mobile version was now better for you because of the ads being disabled for contributing members.

Quote:

Did I misinterpret what you said?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!