Can a leo draw blood? Answer inside... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-22-2006, 01:22 AM   #1
A_Kendergirl
Can a leo draw blood? Answer inside...

Uh, that would be yes! This makes only my third bite from a leo.

1. Lost thought my finger was the worlds largest worm EVER. I got in the way of a feeding frenzy.

2. Raya had a small amount of shed I needed to get off, and she DIDN'T want my help. If she were a shark, I'd be missing a hand.

3. Tonight, Gilean wanted down, and I didn't get him there quick enough. SO, he promptly turned around and tried to take a chunk. For as much as it bleed, it didn't really hurt. I've done much worse to myself at work.

The lessons you can/should take from this are 1. YES, Leos can draw blood when they bite (as adults), and 2. In the majority of bite cases, you can find a direct link between something dumb you've done and the bite. I don't blame them...I blame me. All of my bites could have been prevented. Thankfully, they don't hurt much!

Old 01-22-2006, 02:33 AM   #2
wsmitty
LOL! I got bit tonight too! After holding one of males and putting him back, I picked up another. I guess he smelled the other male because he latched onto my finger like a rabid lizard! He just wouldn't let go so I let him dangle suspended on my finger. Before he finally let go he bit in extra-hard and shook his head like he wanted to take a piece out! Man did it hurt , and it really bleed. Is there a full moon out or what?

Wayne

Old 01-22-2006, 02:42 AM   #3
BalloonzForU
WOW, I knew they could draw blood as adults but I didn't think it was that much. I have not had any of my adults bite me or even act as if they would if they had the chance.

Old 01-22-2006, 02:49 AM   #4
gothra
Shanti, that's LOVE!! Just think of it as their expression of LOVE....lol.

Old 01-22-2006, 03:22 AM   #5
Valerie
Yikes. He surely didn't hold back his feelings on that one.

I've only gotten tagged twice..and neither one of them I really count. The first I was laying on the bed watching one of the juvies run around, and he thought my eyelashes were food items..and latched onto my eyelid. Surprisingly, that didn't hurt. Then last night our large male Chester decided to boycot his moist hide and try to shed without it, so I was helping him and he thought my thumb was a piece of skin that needed removing. Luckily, he got a mouth full of fingernail and I only felt his sharp teeth graze my thumb, otherwise, I'd surely be showing similar pictures.

Old 01-22-2006, 08:24 AM   #6
raiquee
ahaa, I've been bitten plenty of times by angry leos, but figure this. I've never been bitten by my 3 foot black rough neck monitor. Hmm...weird.

Old 01-22-2006, 08:57 AM   #7
Supahypegex
ouch that's some love bite. guess I have been lucky. I never had one bite me but now that I say that and being that today is cleaning day..................

Old 01-22-2006, 09:59 AM   #8
Shelley1063
LOL I've been lucky so far and never been bitten either ::: knock on wood ::: My stripe male took a nip at my son over the Christmas holiday but he deserved it LOL Bart is pretty skittish, I've had him about 3 months now, and my son was bound & determined to get him out even though Bart OBVIOUSLY didn't want to come out LOL He only got a nip out of it though, and I got one heck of a laugh out of it

Old 01-22-2006, 10:36 AM   #9
The NY Gecko
when i first got my my male about a year and a half ago, when i still had my first female, they fought right away. so of course i pulled them apart. he didnt want any part of that and ibecame the next object of his affection. or should i say my finger did. he promptly grabbed it, bite down with a great amount of force for such a small beast, twisted and shook his head in between rolls for about 20 seconds and made a very large tear in the side of my finger the bled profeusley for quite some time. lesson learned; geckos are alot stronger than they lead you to believe. hes still my calmest of the three and the 2 babies i got from dan have bitten me twice with no consequences. guess they had enough holding for that day.

Old 01-22-2006, 10:38 AM   #10
The NY Gecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by raiquee
ahaa, I've been bitten plenty of times by angry leos, but figure this. I've never been bitten by my 3 foot black rough neck monitor. Hmm...weird.
im willing to bet these things, these are jsut a guess, you got him as a hatcling, raised him up to that size, are calm around him, and now that he si this big and has known knows your not a threat any longer. monitors are the most inteeligent of lizards in my book. the way they learn to acknowledge their keepers and not jsut humans in general with food and other things

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!