!!!!rock/sand Question!!!! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-17-2004, 11:14 AM   #11
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Seamus, i think you are a leo lover in disguise!
I do love leopard geckos... they're so full of nutrients and inexpensive.

Quote:
Leopard Geckos can be prone to impaction and still thrive in nature. With their ability to thrive on minimal nutrition and their rate of reproduction, its not a stretch to believe the continued existence of the species is not that difficult without living a fifth of their potential lifespan
But... at what age are leopard geckos most prone to impaction?

Responses within this thread would lead me to believe that it's far more of a problem with neonates kept on very loose particulate substrates than it is with adults. If adults are pretty impact resistant, then another cause must be cited for the length of the wild lifespan and I think Clay pegged it dead on.

We do strive to make the environment as safe as possible for our animals, we don't expose them to their natural predators, we don't force them into temperatures which may be unhealthy, we don't cause dehydration or introduce parasites deliberately and we minimize environmental dangers as well.

There are different types of risk though, there are those which have no benefit or where the likely outcome is far more negative than positive (like planting ticks because it's "natural"). Then there are those with a truly minimal risk but with a great deal of positive ramifications... I think that using sand appropriately gives many positive returns and isn't as risky as some would like to believe. Using sand inappropriately is entirely different of course.

Old 02-17-2004, 01:29 PM   #12
KelliH
I kept all my adult breeders on playsand for several years and I never had an impaction problem. Not once. I think sand is fine for healthy adult (40 grams +) leos.

Old 02-17-2004, 03:09 PM   #13
robin d.
Quote:
Originally posted by Seamus Haley
I do love leopard geckos... they're so full of nutrients and inexpensive.
oh i see! you feel about the same as i do corn snakes!!!
YUM!! i hear they make for some good eatin!!!!!

Old 02-17-2004, 05:54 PM   #14
diablohogs
Talking delicacies...MMMMMMMMM!

with a nice tangy orange sauce and a side of sauteed red potatoes and a ceasar salad. corn snakes make a very nice and colorful meal. i seen it once on Emeril. *BAM*

battered and deep fried tempura style, i bet gecko tail tastes like calamari and they grow back.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!