Python Bites Teenager - more sensational bad press - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 07-11-2004, 04:14 AM   #1
Clay Davenport
Python Bites Teenager - more sensational bad press

Python Bites Teenager
( Air Date: 7/8/2004 )
When we think of pythons, we rarely think of one as a pet -- but one pet snake turned vicious during a playful visit.

Just before noon Wednesday, Floy Weir, 15, was petting her neighbor`s python when it suddenly bit her on the arm.

The 6-year-old python was bought in a pet shop and described as tame.

The snake`s owner admits it bit him once before, but the reptile has been calm for years -- until this teen became the latest victim.

Floy Weir said, "It was weird because he started smelling my arm with his tongue, and all of a sudden his mouth is on my arm and it was freaky."

Terre Haute`s Animal Control and city police arrived to the scene shortly after the bite.

Weir was treated for her wound.

The snake`s owner wants to get rid of his pet.

Link

Old 09-19-2004, 02:34 PM   #2
Sand&SunReptile
Both bites the people were probably at fault.
I bet they have furry critter pets in that house, that were visited before the bite occured.

Old 12-27-2004, 06:56 PM   #3
Rattlesnake
I agree with Sand&SunReptile, sounds like both people had some type of food smell on them; probably of the type of food item the snake would normally eat, or something that sent a danger signal to the snake.

Old 12-28-2004, 05:36 AM   #4
DAND
I don't care how "tame" someone claims their snake to be. It has teeth, it can bite. If you treat them with respect and use common sense you have less of a chance getting bit.

Old 12-28-2004, 11:16 AM   #5
Sand&SunReptile
I would be more than willing to bet they had a scent on them, or they moved fast around the animal in question, or handled him rougly.
Bites from a snake that usually doesn't bite can be almost 100% assured it is owner fault, but there is always a chance the snake just decided to bite.
Either way, the snake cannot be blamed. It is an animal, and a non-domesticated animal at that.
I mean, the owner must have known bites were always going to be a real possibility. It comes with the territory of owning a serpent, especially a large one capable of inflicting some serious bites.

Old 12-28-2004, 11:28 AM   #6
ms_terese
The original post was more than 6 months ago, so I was surprised the link was active. Unfortunately, there's no picture of the snake in question, and it doesn't say what type of python it was. It's a shame that the general public would automatically get a mental picture of some huge, 15 ft. animal when the word "python" is mentioned. I have childrens, spotteds, cape yorks, etc. that couldn't do much with a bite, no matter how vicious.

Old 12-28-2004, 12:09 PM   #7
Sand&SunReptile
I would be willing to bet it had some decent size to it. I mean, somebody getting bit on the arm by a Ball Python shouldn't make the news.
Then again, if it was a nice 5ft+ adult Ball, and the bite was reported than I don't know, people are very quick to act against serpents in the media.

Old 12-28-2004, 12:14 PM   #8
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_terese
The original post was more than 6 months ago, so I was surprised the link was active. Unfortunately, there's no picture of the snake in question, and it doesn't say what type of python it was. It's a shame that the general public would automatically get a mental picture of some huge, 15 ft. animal when the word "python" is mentioned. I have childrens, spotteds, cape yorks, etc. that couldn't do much with a bite, no matter how vicious.
One problem is the people who aren't snake people think that a 3 foot long corn snake is huge. You'd be suprised how many people who go to shows looking to get their kid their first snake and find out a corn can get 4 foot or more. Then the question comes what kind of snake will stay that size? (as they point at a hatchling)

Old 12-28-2004, 03:24 PM   #9
robin d.
ya know and to think i get bit on a regular basis by my snakes (i dont know they just love me, i guess) and i havent made the news

Quote:
I don't care how "tame" someone claims their snake to be. It has teeth, it can bite. If you treat them with respect and use common sense you have less of a chance getting bit.
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
I would be more than willing to bet they had a scent on them, or they moved fast around the animal in question, or handled him rougly.
not necessarily, i have kept snakes for almost seven years and have gotten bitten just about by every single one, multiple times.. i do not handle them roughly... i move at a regular pace which i would not call "fast" and i do not go around jugling rats hhehe... however i think some people just get bit more often than other , for what reason i have no clue.... these same animals rarely even try to bite my hubby... he will be holding on and i walk by and it will take a swipe at me... someone (i think rich z.) asked me if i smoked (which i do) i do not know why they would be more likely to bite a smoker. i can not reem,ember what he said as to the thought associated with smokers and biting (my memory sucks)... but regaurdless they are not domesticcated pets... they are still "wild" if you will, animals not pets and like DAND said should be shown respect. they do have teeth and can and will bite with no antagonism

Old 12-28-2004, 03:39 PM   #10
Sand&SunReptile
That is true. As I mentioned in a different thread to you Robin, I have a Coastal Carpet who will bite for no reason.
Somes I can reach in, pull him out no probs, other times he'll strike out as I walk by his enclosure.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!