humid hide question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-11-2004, 04:37 PM   #1
Caboose
humid hide question

I am in the process of putting my habitat (not mine actually, but my leo's) and I have a question about the humid hide. I am using a terra-cotta flower pot, turned upside down with a 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" hole cut in the bottom. What I'm wondering is 1) how high can the hide be without interferring with the amount of humidity? This pot is probably about 7" tall. and 2) does the leo sit on top of the moistened moss inside or does he crawl into it? The reason I ask is because if I put approx. 2" of moss in the bottom, it will be in front of the access hole. If he crawls inside it, then no problem as long as it's loosly packed. If he needs to get on top of it, I will need to figure out a way to keep it back from the access hole.
Thanks in advance for the advice and what a great find this forum is. Seems to be visited more frequently than some of the others.

Old 10-12-2004, 02:17 PM   #2
USAGECKOS
Leopard Geckos will lay on top of the moss,they will move it around inside the hide so some will get kicked out through the hole, but they won't ever go under the moss.

I am not sure about your other question, about how high the hide should be, never even thought about it. I just use a tupperware with a hole cut in the top. Maybe someome else can answer that one.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-12-2004, 02:24 PM   #3
Caboose
Jeanne,
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll just keep an eye on the arrangement and make sure. I'll pay especially close attention when they start shedding. By the way, with 2 leos, do you recommend 2 humid hides or will they share. It should be big enough for both of them.
Thanks, Dean

Old 10-12-2004, 02:38 PM   #4
USAGECKOS
It depends on the size of the hide, I use 1 tupperware for 2 geckos, the tupperware is approx. 7-8 inches long and approx 5-6 inches wide. I fill it just under half way with Bed-A-Beast.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!