Advice on Bad Shed in Possibly Gravid RTB - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-28-2006, 04:44 PM   #1
mrsasman
Advice on Bad Shed in Possibly Gravid RTB

I just purchased a RTB that is possibly gravid. When I got her a couple of days ago, she was in the middle of a bad shed. It appears that the eye caps have come off, but the rest is just flaking off. Assuming she is gravid would it be safe to go soak her in a bathtub of nice warm water? Any other ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thnx.

Old 05-28-2006, 05:12 PM   #2
hhmoore
just be careful that it isn't too warm. remember - our peripheral surface temperature is still in the mid 90s, on average, so our perceptions of temp are a bit skewed.
Another option would be to just put some mulch or sphagnum into the enclosure and mist it down a bit.

Old 05-29-2006, 02:00 PM   #3
mrsasman
I will try the sphagnum first. I'd rather not disturb her any more than necessary.

Thanks.

Old 05-29-2006, 07:57 PM   #4
winterblizzard
what I do that works well on my boas that won't stay in the bathtub is I soak a large bath towel in water and then wrap them in it and put them in a rubbermaid container that is slightly to small for them. This way they get the moisture of the soaking aspect and they can't get out of it. It won't hurt them, but it has helped with some of my bad shedders.

Old 05-29-2006, 08:08 PM   #5
hhmoore
I understand not wanting to disturb her unless necessary, but I guess the other part of my feeling is that if she is far enough along that it could cause problems, it should be fairly obvious. Did you have her shipped, or pick her up?
There are a number of ways to increase humidity, depending on what type of enclosure you are using and how you are heating. The towel thing works well for many snakes

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!