I love the bright colors - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-16-2006, 04:04 AM   #1
houdini1
I love the bright colors

Here is Clyde during shed and a few days after. So obviously he is a tangerine but my question is what type. I know there are a few like hypo and superhypo and baldy. I am not too familiar with morphs yet.
Here is Clyde before and after he shed.

After the shed, sorry for the blurry pics had to use my old camera.

Old 04-16-2006, 09:51 AM   #2
John N
He's a super hypo tangerine with some carrot tail

Old 04-16-2006, 09:53 AM   #3
John N
A super hypo is when there's no spots on the body.
A hypo is when there's around 10 spots on the body.
Baldy is when there's no spots on the head.

hope this helps

Old 04-16-2006, 11:30 AM   #4
Ian S.
He's a Super Hypo Tangerine Carrot Tail Baldy, and I don't think anyone is putting a number on the spotting thing. If it has normal spotting with the orange color, it's a tangerine. Very small or reduced spotting with the orange coloration would be a hypo tang. No spotting on the body would be a super hypo tang, and last but not least, if there is no spotting on the head or body,(such as your beautiful little gecko) than it's a super hypo tang.baldy. The carrot tail part of the equation is pretty simple if it has orange in the tail, than we call it a carrot tail, We grade the amount by percentages. For example I'd say yours is about a 30% carrot tail.

Old 04-16-2006, 12:19 PM   #5
A_Kendergirl
While it is very hard to get EVERYONE to agree on definitions, many breeders agree with the 10 spot rule for hypo (some go more, some less). As for carrot tails - the most accepted definition is a minimum of 10 - 15% (depending on the person...some go even higher) solid orange that is UNINTERRUPTED (that's key) by any black spots. I would be very hesitant to call the tail on your leo a carrot tail, though it's a very nice tail.

This is what a carrot tail should look like - all orange and white, no black.

To give you an example of a very iffy carrot tail...this is Mirage. I'm not 100% comfortable calling him a carrot tail, because he has one black spot in the middle of all of that orange. He's so close to being a true carrot tail that many people would be ok with that term with him.

Now take Gilean...he has pretty much the same length of orange in his tail as Mirage, but more black spots. I do not call him a carrot tail - ever - because he falls well below the carrot tail standard most large breeders accept.

Old 04-16-2006, 12:30 PM   #6
houdini1
I am really curious to see how much he is going to change over the next few months. How old would you say he is. I was told he was about 6 months olds. Not sure though. And thank you for explaing the different tangerines. I have a feeling I will end up with more than the two leos i have now. lol

Old 04-16-2006, 12:36 PM   #7
A_Kendergirl
It's hard to say...lol. How long have you had him? Also, do you know how much he weighs (in grams) and how long he is? Those can provide good clues. Six months could be right, but he could easily be younger if he's a good eater, or older if the place you got him from didn't take good care of him (he does look healthy though).

Old 04-16-2006, 12:52 PM   #8
houdini1
I am not sure how much he weighs I need a new scale and he doesn't like being handled. I got him in Feb. And he is about 6 inches long. Here is a pice when I got him in feb. He is an extremely good eater, He eats about 12 crickets everynight and he has mealworms.

Old 04-16-2006, 12:55 PM   #9
A_Kendergirl
I'm a little rusty (been away for awhile), but I would guess that your gecko is now 4 - 6 months old.

Old 04-16-2006, 01:03 PM   #10
houdini1
Ok thank you, I was going to ask you too how you are feeling? Hope all is going well for you and baby!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!