Eating problems - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-24-2007, 10:50 AM   #1
L_P_F
Eating problems

Hello, I have a recent Leo problem that hopefully someone can help with. I've had my female Leo for around 10 years and for the majority of that time she was fed on crickets and waxworms. in the last couple of years she has gone off crickets completely. It started with her hunting them up until a point them giving up as they ran off to her just not interested in them. I continued with giving her waxworms dusted with vit+calcium which seemed to do the trick. Now however she doesn't seem to want to eat anything. I've tried locusts too and I think she may have eaten two in the last few months. Initially I though there may be problems with the temperature (even though for many years it had stayed the same - a bulb on in the day and off at night). I bought a infa red buld and leave it on 24/7 which keeps one end of the tank at around 35C. She lives in a 4ft vivarium with sand substrate, two hiding places and a piece of log which she seems to enjoy climbing. Thing I find odd is that she doesn't seem malnurished as she is a healthy yellow with a fat tail (not too fat though). She still poops so there's no impaction or anything like that.

Any ideas/tips? I'm worried that she isn't eating enough. I though it could be to do with me moving out and having to leave her at my previous address for a bit. People rarely went in my room so I wasn't sure if she became stressed when it was time to be fed. She now lives at my home so there's always someone around.

Please help!

Old 05-24-2007, 11:51 AM   #2
ReptileMan27
Well I would start by removing the sand crap, not eating can very well be a sign of impaction. Waxworms are very fattening and should only be fed as a treat,not as a staple.. Have you tried mealworms?, most leos love them and they work great as a staple or part varied diet.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
aimee_s
I agree with Reptileman. Although there are people who use sand, there's a risk of impaction. Because if she hasn't been eating anything, she shouldn't be pooping normally like you mentioned at the end of the paragraph.

Try handfeeding her some mealworms, crickets, or ONE waxworm to see if she'll eat. If she doesn't, I'd see a vet ASAP. If she does eat, especially the waxie, she just may be too addicted to it. Waxworms are supposed to be given as a treat at least once a week - not a daily meal. Once they're addicted, you'll have to slowly wein her off of it by reducing the number of waxies and increase the number of various types of food (mealies, superworms, crickets, etc).

Please update us on her status and good luck with her!

Old 05-27-2007, 03:40 AM   #4
DaveCable
poor eating

I agree with the other posters. If you can get her on a non-particulate substrate and switch to mealworms it would be ideal for both you and the gecko. Do you notice any sand in her fecal mater? Might try putting 2-3 waxies in a dish of mealies. I think most ppl would concur that waxies are only a snack not a diet. She will do most of her hunting and exploring at night so people being around during the day should not be a problem as long as she has a place or two to hide. Your might try ParaZap, as this has helped stimulate appetite for some of my leso.

Old 05-28-2007, 05:50 AM   #5
L_P_F
Well I have a look for some other substrate though I don't think its that as her faeces has no sign of sand. But I'm willing to try anything now! She just doesn't seem to show an interest in food. I've tried wax worms again and still nothing. I went to buy mealworms but the shop owner said they maybe too big for the gecko to handle - she's about 7 inches mabye a little more. Waxworms seemed the only thing she was interested in. I haven't tried leaving them in a dish though as I've always watched her eat before. Might try that and see what happens. If all else fails then I guess it's a trip to the doctors. I'm a bit concerened with that as her eating got so sporadic and now hardly at all, she hasn't been getting her calcium.

Thanks for the responses, will let you know what happens

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!