Good Guy Indian River Reptile zoo - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors »  Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 

Want to help support this site? Click here.

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Canadian Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Canadian Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the Canadian herp industry. YOUR FULL NAME is required for each message you post.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
Spyke
Indian River Reptile zoo

I recently had the opportunity to go visit the IRRZ.
I would like to say that i was very impressed at the facility. its nice and clean, the enclosures looked maintained and the animals all looked fat and healthy.

I also really enjoyed the outdoor area of the zoo, and i was lucky enough to visit the zoo on such a warm day that the croc and gator along with a monitor were all outside enjoying the day!

I also just recently heard that the zoo has taken in an African rock python which came from the Calgary zoo. This makes me extremely happy, because the snake has been moved to a facility which actually cares about the husbandry and well being of their reptiles. Unlike the snakes previous owners.

I dont want to bash the Calgary zoo , as i did buy a membership to give back to the animals. but again thank you IRRZ for taking this beautiful animal in.

like who would house a African rock python, with a ball python, dumerils boa and 2 Madagascar hognose snakes??

Thanks alot IRRZ, i cant wait for the next time im in the Peterborough area to stop in for a visit!!

Old 09-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
slamjay
How many of the zoo's employees have you met and had discussion with? How many of them have told you about how little they care? None?

You are stating an incorrect opinion, the keepers at the Calgary Zoo care very much for their animals. You are also hypocritical in saying "I don't want to bash the Calgary zoo" and then doing exactly that.

Who would house an afrock, ball python, dum and 2 hogs? Probably somewhere with the space to do so. The enclosure was the size of a room with lots of hides ledges, and areas for the animals to have their own space.

I have been to many zoos and aquariums with large multi-species setups, it isn't uncommon. Just because as private individuals many don't have the space to set up a room-sized space for snakes doesn't mean it can't happen.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
Spyke
how can an opinion be incorrect, its my opinion and im entitled to it and this is one spot you cannot censor me!!

so jay why is the calgary zoo in so many negative news articles, for animals dying?

Old 09-16-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
Spyke
and this thread is for me to thank the IRRZ, i dont want to get into a debate with you.

but i want to set the record straight for everyone,
me and jay DO NOT get along, no point in getting into it, any one could search taras forums to find that out.

so again i just want to thank IRRZ for the day i had there with my family.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #5
slamjay
BOI isn't for opinion. It is for fact. Provide e-mails and proof of where you heard that the keepers do not care for their animals.

Why are there news stories about animals dying? Because on occasion the media gets on a kick. Much like how typically the stories you see about snakes are "snake found in bath tub" or "python bites owner." Animals die at every zoo, and in every individuals collection, and sometimes that is due to the keepers mistake. I can assure you animals have died at IRRZ because that is what all living things do.

If this thread was simply about thanking IRRZ, then there was no point in taking the shot at the zoo, now was there.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #6
Spyke
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamjay View Post
BOI isn't for opinion. It is for fact. Provide e-mails and proof of where you heard that the keepers do not care for their animals.

Why are there news stories about animals dying? Because on occasion the media gets on a kick. Much like how typically the stories you see about snakes are "snake found in bath tub" or "python bites owner." Animals die at every zoo, and in every individuals collection, and sometimes that is due to the keepers mistake. I can assure you animals have died at IRRZ because that is what all living things do.

If this thread was simply about thanking IRRZ, then there was no point in taking the shot at the zoo, now was there.
how about these stories,
Door mishap killed giant rodent at Calgary Zoo
Calgary Zoo tiger cub dies
Calgary Zoo's 2nd tiger cub dies
Lack of oxygen killed stingrays, Calgary Zoo admits
Wild goat dies in accident at Calgary zoo
Elephant calf succumbs to virus at Calgary Zoo
5 more stingrays die as Calgary Zoo asks police for help
Hazina the hippo dies after transfer to Calgary Zoo
Fourth gorilla dies at Calgary Zoo
Calgary Zoo mourns newborn gorilla
Baby elephant dies at Calgary Zoo

all these articles can be found at cbc.ca

oh and dont forget about the gorilla threatening his cage mates with a knife!!

are any of those stories comparable to your snake in tub comparison, i think not

so as you can see , you may understand why im glad IRRZ has taken the afrock in.

Thank you IRRZ

Old 09-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
slamjay
Six of those articles are all unrelated to the care the animals recieved. The tigers and elephants all died from natural causes. The gorillas were mature adults who all died of unrelated illnesses. Every animal at the zoo will die, that is the one thing for certain. A little bit of research goes a long way and explanations for the baby gorilla, tiger cubs and elephants natural deaths is easily found.

Threatening? Now you are making stuff up. A knife was left in a cage, oops. The gorilla, being a curious animal, picked it up, looked at it, and put it down. Just as it might a rock, or a carrot, or a piece of rope. It did not threaten the other gorillas.

Imagine if we did a press release for every time something potentially happens in your collection?

Spyke's Green Tree Python lays slugs
Uromastyx baby dies shortly after hatching from egg
Ball Python in egg is "fully developed" says Spyke, but fails to hatch.

Well you would sure look like a terrible reptile owner, wouldn't you?! After all, all animals that breed will have healthy offspring that all live the entire potential lifespan.

How about this... Pebbles was at the zoo for over 10 years and is big and healthy.
The oldest resident of the zoo, a hippo, is over 40 years old
Multiple giraffes, red pandas, elk, gorillas, and tigers have been born and succesfully raised at the zoo.
The zoo has been instrumental in the return of populations of whooping cranes and the black footed ferret to its natural habitat.

Yup, sure is a terrible place that Calgary Zoo.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
Spyke
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamjay View Post
Yup, sure is a terrible place that Calgary Zoo.
you said it not me!!

and if i wanted i could find alot more dirt on them, you just stick up for them cause you volunteer there, i bet you left the knife in the gorillas pen.

again jay you are going way off topic here, this is about IRRZ rescuing the afrock for substandard living conditions!! and about the day i had there, sorry you feel the need to protect the zoo you volunteer at and obviously have a biased opinion!

but i hope someone is reading this who cares what you have to say, cause i sure as hell dont!!

Old 09-16-2011, 03:34 PM   #9
slamjay
But it was not living in sub-standard conditions. You are making a false claim against an organization, which is why it was edited on the TARAS site so now you think "fine I will just go to BOI." You posted this solely to take a shot at the zoo under the guise of "It's about my day at IRRZ."

And nope, wasn't working then. I've backed up my statement with fact, something you continue to fail to do. As usual.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #10
Spyke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
again jay you are going way off topic here, this is about IRRZ rescuing the afrock for substandard living conditions!! !

i dont know where the edit button is,

i meant to say they rescued the afrock from substandard living

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!